Slower/Lower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slower/Lower

Big Mike launched early while John Dillion and I launched around 8:30 this morning..Big Mike had a nice 26 inch Striper...headed out with high hopes...soon to realize the tide was not moving much...eventually we got the skunk off with a couple of school rock...I swapped out my big trolling baits for bass Assassin and hooked up a 20(+) striper that was sickly...lots of sores...it fought OK but I threw it back..
    I caught a nice 11 inch white perch...then later caught about a dozen or so stripers near legal but not quite...Big schools of bunker were every where but no takers on top water...put in a new bass Assassin body and toss it back and as I went to put the rod in the holder I felt a hit...good reflexes and a fat 24 striper joined the perch on my stringer...I’ll let Big Mike and John fill in what I left out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-18-2017, 05:44 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I had a very limited window to fish today so I launched at 6:45 into low tide at 7:30. Temp was 41 at the house but water influence had air temp close to 50, nice when that happens. The fish were scattered but holding in predictable spots. I caught a couple near legal but was running out of time. I was trolling in shallow water (3') going towards deeper when my rod bent and line started screaming off the reel. Man I love catching big fish in shallow water. After a couple minutes I had a 26 1/2" fish in the forward hatch on ice. Ran into John D at the ramp who was kind enough to take my picture in my boho chic cold morning outfit. Realize I look like someone from a Monty Python skit doing silly walks, which is a good thing.

Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Never a slave to fashion, you are an innovator Mike. A trend setter. Hobo chic will become the apparel of choice for kayak fisherman around the world. Nice fish. Been trying to get down that way but wind has not been cooperating.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

Mike that is a good looking fish! I may have to get back down that way.
        Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

I think better quality fish are getting ready to bust out all over. Fish today were still very scattered down here and we haven't seen the big boils, at least where I've been. Hopefully more consistent as water temps drop.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Ron -- That has to be the fattest striper I've seen pictured on this forum in a long time.

Mike -- You're the essence of sartorial splendor. Darn good angler too.

Congrats to each of you.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice Job Ron and Mike!!! Those are some fat Football's!! Nice and healthy

I abandoned the "Team" again and went over to ST Inigoes to launch at 7a.m. The Bite really turned on by 730a.m. and it was steady. My biggest was 21 inches, with tons of schoolies 17 inches and downward.

Could not find a Spec at all today, went a mile up river looking and exploring too. Got to one cove and peeked in and BOOM BOOM, some duck hunters were just letting loose on a flock. Went back down river at high speed

Yak67
              2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
              2016 Hobie Outback LE#217
              Last edited by Yak67; 10-18-2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

I haven't fished sloso much this year. After taking Big Mike's pix @ the ramp w/that nice fish I was feeling hopeful for some steady rodbending. Unfortunately, the fish left out the 'steady' part. Yea, my rods bent here & there but it was the breathtaking surrounding beauty with the bald eagles & other bird activity & the lack of spookmasters( weekday) that enabled me to enjoy just being there. I landed a bunch of short stripers, several close to legal; a big white perch, & a small flounder that shook off @ kayakside. I also thought I had a red drum but it turned out to be a turtle. Not a terrapin & not a snapping turtle but perhaps a species of mud turtle? It & everything else was released. Twas good fishing w/ Ron & Big Mike.

Comment

Nice fish guys!
                  Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by whenican View Post
                    I haven't fished sloso much this year. After taking Big Mike's pix @ the ramp w/that nice fish I was feeling hopeful for some steady rodbending. Unfortunately, the fish left out the 'steady' part. Yea, my rods bent here & there but it was the breathtaking surrounding beauty with the bald eagles & other bird activity & the lack of spookmasters( weekday) that enabled me to enjoy just being there. I landed a bunch of short stripers, several close to legal; a big white perch, & a small flounder that shook off @ kayakside. I also thought I had a red drum but it turned out to be a turtle. Not a terrapin & not a snapping turtle but perhaps a species of mud turtle? It & everything else was released. Twas good fishing w/ Ron & Big Mike.
                    Yep..it was noticeably slower fishing- as Mike said, they were not congregated in any sense of the word...John and I worked a lot of water and there were some pretty long stretches between fish...I found a pattern but only 19 inch and under fish were in the 5.5-6 foot troll line on the edges of the flats...the bigger fish were in 2-4 FOW on the flats...1/4 oz red Bomber sea shad jighead with chartruese glow Bass Assassin swim body caught the fat boy...on my light rod..the 7’ St. Croix light action Mojo Inshore, Shimano Stradic CI-4(+) 10# braid...like Big Mike says- fat fish in shallow water on light tackle makes a reel scream...

Comment

Nice reports guys. Congrats. Do you troll saltwater or freshwater jerkbaits? I was heading that way today but ended up getting side tracked. ^#%*@$
                      Viking - Profish Reload Z
                      Jackson Coosa - YakAttack

Comment

I troll Rapala XRaps...and swap out the trebles for single replacement hooks-but I also troll a Sea Shad Bass Assassin swim bait on the other rod...and if the birds are working throw top water poppers to breaking fish...if the bluefish are bad I just use the XRaps- no sense losing a bunch of soft plastic bodies...

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                          ...my picture in my boho chic cold morning outfit. Realize I look like someone from a Monty Python skit doing silly walks, which is a good thing.

Mike,

The 26 1/2" fish is a nice accessory to go with your outfit. It brings out your eyes and complements your footwear :-)

But seriously, congrats on the good-looking catch!
                          -manny

Hobie Outback
                          Wilderness Systems 130T
                          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

nice fattie and report!
                            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                            X