Kayak seat recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak seat recommendations

As you can see in my sig, I own an Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3.

Can anyone recommend an amazing seat for me? My back and butt ache after 3-4 hours in the seat that came with it. Money isn't an issue. I'd spend $300 if it meant being significantly more comfortable on the water for longer periods of time. When you think about it, the seat is kinda the most important part if you plan on fishing for more than an hour.

I dream about being able to spend all day out on the water and be able to walk the next day.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Simple: "GTS Expedition Kayak Seat"

A bit pricey (~$200), but well worth the money. Thick, cushy gel pads with just the right amount of play and firmness to keep you comfortable. I replaced the seat on my Wilderness Systems yak with the GTS seat...so glad I did.

GTS Expedition Seat.jpg

The link below is from West Marine, but many other outfitters carry them.
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...seat--13850409
    Last edited by baitball; 10-18-2017, 06:45 AM.
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg View Post
      As you can see in my sig, I own an Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3.

Can anyone recommend an amazing seat for me? My back and butt ache after 3-4 hours in the seat that came with it. Money isn't an issue. I'd spend $300 if it meant being significantly more comfortable on the water for longer periods of time. When you think about it, the seat is kinda the most important part if you plan on fishing for more than an hour.

I dream about being able to spend all day out on the water and be able to walk the next day.
      One think to consider, the higher you sit in your yak, the more unstable you will become. A guy like me who is 6' 3", 250 lbs, that makes a big difference. I had a higher seat, and traded it for a lower one.
      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Before Hobie came out with the new seats I used one of these for my butt and it made a big difference. Cheap solution that will buy you a few more hours on the water! I cut mine to better fit the seat well and not obstruct the scuppers. https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...dckssprtcshodr
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

For several years I used Skwoosh pad on my kayak seat. It helped with comfort and extended my time before butt fatigue. Last year I found an even better cushion in the office supply section of Sams Club. It is a Wondergel cushion that provides even better padding.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/wonder...rod20353220.ip

I use one and got one for my kayak guide in Florida.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs... for now. .

I'm tempted to get higher in my seat to avoid getting wet butt. However, the trident ultra 4.3 already has you sitting a little higher due to the mold of the kayak. I wonder if a cushion like a few of you have suggested would be enough to get my ass out of the water.
            Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
            Mercury 6hp
            Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

I would like to back up what John about the Wondergel from HD. After spending 3-4 hrs. in my seat, not only was my bottom in good shape, so we’re my upper legs. Encore my thighs would get stiff and sometimes cramp up. I only weigh 180, so my experience doesn’t compare to you larger guys, it I definitely would recommend this product.
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
              X