Tampa Bay - 2 new species

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Bay - 2 new species

I arrived in Tampa yesterday for several days of fishing with kayak guide Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing. This morning we drove to near the mouth of Tampa Bay and waited for over an hour before the thunderstorms were safely out of the way. It rained for the first hour we were on the water. We began by jigging in a 10-ft trough using one of Neil's unique lures -- he ties a colorful metal jig and a pink teaser fly on the same loop knot.
    I caught four small ladyfish early on. My next catch fought hard and turned out to be a small bonnethead shark. Its skin was like sandpaper.

2003-08-01 01-36-55.jpg 2003-08-01 01-37-00.jpg 2003-08-01 01-37-07.jpg

A few minutes later I caught a gafftopsail catfish - this saltwater species has a long pointed dorsal fin.

2003-08-01 01-46-48.jpg 2003-08-01 01-46-56.jpg

Then I got a hardhead catfish. That rascal jabbed me in the finger with a sharp fin. It bled a bit and hurt for an hour. It seems to be fine now.

2003-08-01 02-48-32.jpg 2003-08-01 02-48-36.jpg

Neil turned me loose to go cast to mangrove edges. I caught two snook there. I anchored up over grass flats and caught 13 speckled trout. I trolled between spots and picked up a Spanish mackeral -- they have a mouth full of sharp teeth.

2003-08-01 04-04-51.jpg 2003-08-01 04-04-58.jpg

Although the action was not fast and furious this morning, I was able to catch 7 species, including two new species for me (bonnethead shark, gafftopsail catfish).
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

You got a nice variety of pull-age there. I plan on going down soon. Hopefully I'll get some water time.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

John,

You realize you stuck the hardhead catfish first. Paybacks are hell.

Congrats on a good day -- new species and variety. Hard to beat that.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It seems like the fishery has recovered well after the hurricane. Congrats on a good first day!
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

On Day 2, we fished much of the time in a stiff breeze and steady wave action. The bite was generally slow, but we had one 30-min period with fish busting bait in open water. It was tough staying with the fish because the wind kept pushing us past them. I caught 4 jacks, a bluefish, several ladyfish, and a mangrove snapper during that time.

2003-08-01 00-00-02.jpg2003-08-01 00-07-05.jpg2003-08-01 00-22-33.jpg

Near the end of the trip I caught a nice snook next to some mangroves.

IMAG0352.jpg

We see plenty of brown pelicans on most of our trips here. Today I saw a flock of the larger white pelicans for the first time in a while.

2003-08-01 01-42-46.jpg
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've vicariously followed the Tampa stories for a couple years and do appreciate the variety of fish you catch. However, I've rarely if ever seen what I would consider to be a big fish in the photos. Is it just the nature of the bay fishery that big fish don't come into the area or perhaps time of year?
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
              I've vicariously followed the Tampa stories for a couple years and do appreciate the variety of fish you catch. However, I've rarely if ever seen what I would consider to be a big fish in the photos. Is it just the nature of the bay fishery that big fish don't come into the area or perhaps time of year?
              There are a few large fish in the areas where we fish. I am not very good at catching large fish, either in Tampa or at home. I hold my own with small and medium fish. I have hooked, but not landed, 70-lb black drum -- six in one day jigging the same light lures we use for pompano. They all broke off on bridge piling before I could get them in. I hooked a tarpon last year. It took one leap and spit the jighead. My biggest red here is 26" and the largest snook is 27". The longest fish I caught here was a 38" blacktip shark -- all on 1/8-oz jigheads and 3" paddletails with a 7' medium rod.

The guide, Neil, often catches some larger fish when we are out. Today he got a 30" red on his third cast. The bait fishermen may catch larger fish -- we are fishing all artificial, and are not fishing with heavy tackle. We are strictly inshore fishermen and venture only 1-3 mile from a launch point. Most of our fishing is in depths of less than 5'. I enjoy the variety of species. Many of the fish here pull harder than the ones at home. A 15" pompano pulls like a 24" striper.
              Last edited by J.A. Veil; 10-19-2017, 05:20 AM.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Mike- I fished Tampa Bay a few years ago- using pretty much the same tackle we use from our kayaks- caught a 30 pound jack cravelle and a snook we released (wasn’t the season) estimated at 15 pounds...tons of ladyfish (poor man’s tarpon) and lots of snapper, redfish and speckled trout and we fished along a rock jetty and back in the mangrove flats...believe it or not most of our fish came from fishing the boat docks with small live alwifes- hook them in the belly and toss them back under the dock- boom! big snook, baby tarpon, redfish and gator trout...in front of multi-million dollar mansions...big fish in canals under boat docks is normal...we went back into a cul-de-sac canal that had tarpon rolling every where...50-75 pound tarpon...we hooked up two before they simply disappeared...none landed...
                Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-21-2017, 08:03 AM.
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Mike,

I've seen John catch many nice-sized fish there. But indeed one of the interesting things about Tampa fishing is variety. One day I caught 8 species on the fly during a trip with Neil Taylor including one of those gaff-topsail catfish that John has pictured in this thread. I didn't know what kind of fish most of them were and had to ask Neil to identify them. I've also caught a lot of specks and ladyfish larger than 20 inches and a few snooks over 20 inches that towed my kayak right into the mangrove roots. As for pompano, here are two that ripped line from my reel faster than any legal striper I've caught:

E.jpg F.jpg

I have not exceeded 20 inches on a redfish yet, but I hope to do that on my next trip south.

18157160_10155208480812433_1743090417974041971_n.jpg

And of course you cannot discount the scenery we see on our visits there. Here's a "guest" on one of our outings photographed by John Rentch:

M.jpg N.jpg

Tampa is a simply a great location for a year-round kayak fishery that is relatively "close" given the daily Southwest Airlines flights from BWI to Tampa that are reasonably priced. True, I have not caught any huge fish there, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to while sitting in a kayak. I'd like to have to more boat around me than a kayak before tackling the blacktip shark that John landed or the 30 pound jack that Ron caught.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Congrats on the new species's, John! How many does that make now?
                    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Mike,

I've seen John catch many nice-sized fish there. But indeed one of the interesting things about Tampa fishing is variety. One day I caught 8 species on the fly during a trip with Neil Taylor including one of those gaff-topsail catfish that John has pictured in this thread. I didn't know what kind of fish most of them were and had to ask Neil to identify them. I've also caught a lot of specks and ladyfish larger than 20 inches and a few snooks over 20 inches that towed my kayak right into the mangrove roots. As for pompano, here are two that ripped line from my reel faster than any legal striper I've caught:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22479[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]22480[/ATTACH]

I have not exceeded 20 inches on a redfish yet, but I hope to do that on my next trip south.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22483[/ATTACH]

And of course you cannot discount the scenery we see on our visits there. Here's a "guest" on one of our outings photographed by John Rentch:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22481[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]22482[/ATTACH]

Tampa is a simply a great location for a year-round kayak fishery that is relatively "close" given the daily Southwest Airlines flights from BWI to Tampa that are reasonably priced. True, I have not caught any huge fish there, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to while sitting in a kayak. I'd like to have to more boat around me than a kayak before tackling the blacktip shark that John landed or the 30 pound jack that Ron caught.
                      Mark, I was more curious than questioning. In my head Florida should produce monster fish compared to the bay, big trout, shallow water big redfish and whatever else is patrolling the shallows. Your real world experience is a reality check on my fantasies.
                      Mike
                      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike,

It’s an exceedingly enjoyable location for light tackle anglers, especially when winter is howling here.

We often start the day targeting reds or snook in the shallows. We’re really in the hunting mode when we do that casting to likely spots near the mangroves. It’s not unlike fishing a Delaware pond shoreline for bass. We’re target casting and I love it. It’s rarely continuous action but the promise of hooking a decent snook or red and feeling their saltwater power is worth the hunt.

Then we’ll close the day in more open waters seeking specks on grassy flats. We want pullage before going in and specks can provide frequent hookups. In fact, I think of specks as the white perch of Tampa Bay. They’re in fairly predictable sites and when you catch one there is usually another close by.

I’m sure if folks go off shore from Tampa or use bait, they routinely catch larger fish than we do in kayaks. But I could not be happier with the kayak fishing our guide Neil Taylor has shown us there.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

After completing four trips last week in the Tampa Bay area I ended up catching 15 different species of fish on lures and medium spinning tackle. The strong winds kept the tides from coming in as well as they should have, which curtailed the bite. I was unable to find any redfish but did manage a few snook and plenty of specs. Here are the fish species.

ladyfish
                          bonnethead shark
                          gafftopsail catfish
                          hardhead catfish
                          spanish mackerel
                          speckled trout
                          snook
                          bluefish
                          jack
                          mangrove snapper
                          mullet (this is a filter-feeding species that does not normally hit lures)
                          lizardfish
                          needlefish
                          blue runner
                          pompano
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

Good trip, John.

The mullet is a real surprise.

The bonnethead shark is one I never heard of.

Your list is impressive.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                              Congrats on the new species's, John! How many does that make now?
                              So far for 2017, I caught 48 species -- 7 of those were new ones. My lifetime total is 102 species (and hopefully still growing). Since I seem to struggle at catching large trophy fish, I found my niche at getting a variety of species.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                              X