Book Plagiarism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Plagiarism?

I saw a post on Shawn Kimbro's Facebook page this morning that suggested someone in our community plagiarized one of his books.

What is going on? This is a serious allegation and Shawn is taking the high road not calling anyone out.

EDIT: Removed Kimbro's quote.
    Last edited by silasvirus82; 10-17-2017, 02:54 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

On the other hand, as a local author of a fishing book, I do not appreciate the broad allegation of plagiarism that possibly could tarnish my work or that of others who are innocent like me. (There are no maps in my book.)

If Mr. Kimbro has a legitimate complaint, he should seek legal redress.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I agree with Mark, there's enough stuff in the news that's depressing about accusations and denials. I like to come here and leave that behind me as I do on my kayak. If there's substance to the claim then let's let them hash it out themselves or in court, but not here. Nothing wrong with raising the question, but personally I'd prefer not to see a cloud hang over this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        On the other hand, as a local author of a fishing book, I do not appreciate the broad allegation of plagiarism that possibly could tarnish my work or that of others who are innocent like me. (There are no maps in my book.)

If Mr. Kimbro has a legitimate complaint, he should seek legal redress.
        Is it really worth it in the end though, to seek legal counsel and go after somebody like that. Only the lawyers win.

I do find the accusations alarming and its surprising given the topic. I mean there is only so much you can say about fishing without repeating hundreds of other authors and their experiences.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
          Is it really worth it in the end though, to seek legal counsel and go after somebody like that. Only the lawyers win.

I do find the accusations alarming and its surprising given the topic. I mean there is only so much you can say about fishing without repeating hundreds of other authors and their experiences.
          Doris Kearns Goodwin, Alex Haley and the late Stephen Ambrose are three famous best-selling authors who paid in some form for their transgressions after our legal system interceded. There are many others. Plagiarism is a serious charge and it should not be levied on social media in broad brush strokes because too many innocents may come under suspicion.

And yes, there are only so many ways an author can cite structure, current, depth, lure action, season, location, etc. as the factors to consider when fishing. The interest by many readers, I think, is how that information is conveyed, not necessarily its novelty.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It appears to most folks (at least based on the messages I've received) that he is referring to me and my brand new jigging book that just released.
            If indeed aimed at me, his comments are unfortunate and have no merit whatsoever.
            I'm rather disappointed he'd resort to such tactics to try and damage my reputation in a late night rant.
            I've worked extremely hard on my books, sacrificing incredibly to put it together over the last couple of years.
            It would only take about 2 seconds to look at my new book to show mine bears no similarities, so I'm not worried about it his allegations....especially since I can't imagine he's even seen a copy yet.
            However, he made these allegations publicly and that is stepping on some very shaky ground.
            Last edited by Yak Fish; 10-17-2017, 02:00 PM.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              It appears to most folks (at least based on the messages I've received) that he is referring to me and my brand new jigging book that just released.
              If indeed aimed at me, his comments are unfortunate and have no merit whatsoever.
              I'm rather disappointed he'd resort to such tactics to try and damage my reputation in a late night rant.
              I've worked extremely hard on my books, sacrificing incredibly to put it together over the last couple of years.
              It would only take about 2 seconds to look at my new book to show mine bears no similarities, so I'm not worried about it his allegations....especially since I can't imagine he's even seen a copy yet.
              However, he made these allegations publicly and that is stepping on some very shaky ground.
              I certainly hope this all turns out to be a misunderstanding. Kimbro seems like a very down to earth and kind person, that's what made me double take when I read that this morning.
              Last edited by silasvirus82; 10-17-2017, 03:27 PM.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

And yes, there are only so many ways an author can cite structure, current, depth, lure action, season, location, etc. as the factors to consider when fishing. The interest by many readers, I think, is how that information is conveyed, not necessarily its novelty.
                I think you are generally correct with that point.

You should also consider the interest of an author, such as financial motivation or self inflation. Nobody wants their money or thunder jeopardized.

That being said, I really hope to see several local authorships of a book of knots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

in before locked thread !

too much drama - i took up fishing for relaxation and R&R, and I agree there's only so many ways to describe light tackle jigging...

that being said, straight plagiarism is a no-no, anyone with any publishing knowledge should know that. best of luck to all.
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                    in before locked thread !

too much drama - i took up fishing for relaxation and R&R, and I agree there's only so many ways to describe light tackle jigging...

that being said, straight plagiarism is a no-no, anyone with any publishing knowledge should know that. best of luck to all.
                    The thread will not be locked, an admin convinced me otherwise.

I believe Kimbro has worked at a university for many years, he should be very well versed on the definition of plagiarism.

Jimbo, I'm going to start working on that knot book for you right now.

tenor.jpg
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Jimbo, I'm going to start working on that knot book for you right now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22454[/ATTACH]

Awe John. Just when I was starting to think you’re a legit guy, you jump on the “hey I can write a book too” bandwagon. SMH

-Jimbo-

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                        Awe John. Just when I was starting to think you’re a legit guy, you jump on the “hey I can write a book too” bandwagon. SMH

I'm not going to write anything. My book will be digital and comprised only of memes and gifs, and only need one reference, "internet".
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I'm not going to write anything. My book will be digital and comprised only of memes and gifs, and only need one reference, "internet".
                          Just be sure to note the amount of time and dedication it took to do it. I think thats important.

-Jimbo-

Comment

Shawn has had a bug up his ass about Allan for awhile and have made disparaging remarks before. I had higher regard for Shawn before this. If he makes this charge then he should either provide the quotes with the charge or shut the f up.

I have both Shawns book and Allan's book. Allan's is much better in my opinion ...... he covers jigging from A to Z and will be a classic. I am so impressed that I was going to post something even before I be finished reading it.

I can't believe Shawn is acting like this.

Comment

The posts on Kimbro's FB page today are getting more ridiculous.

Kimbro certainly has come off as the aggressor, and thus far provided no proof. I'll admit the covers of both their books are very similar, but they are both sweet covers so I can see why someone would choose it. I actually like Alan's better. I read Kimbro's first book and Alan's first book, and sensed absolutely no similarities in content, but then again Alan's first book was more specific to kayakers. Maybe a previous poster was right and someone is simply upset the other person might be stealing their thunder, and if that's the case it's pathetic.
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                              X