Homemade Trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Trailers

So I bought a decent small boat trailer without a title...hoping that wasn't a huge mistake...

I intend to rig it with either uni strut or new galvanized crossbars and then use either Schedule 40 Electrical Conduit or Hobie Cradles to support my Pro Angler 14, maybe even rigging for two boats, though as of right now, I have only the one.

Any advice on the process, particularly as it relates to getting titled?

Thanks!

Maine.

Use google, as I don't want to get into an ethics/legality.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

First, you must have a title to register in Maine as of last year ......... I know because I had to get a title here so I could renew my Maine license. Also, legally you cannot license in Maine unless you have at least 1 other trailer licensed in Md. ...... not a problem unless you get caught.

Second, it's very easy in Maryland. You just need photos from front, sides and back and provide a list of the parts and costs that you used to make/customize the trailer. It's helps if you have receipts. Take that to the DMV, list it as home made and pay the fees. You will also have to get it inspected. I did mine thru a tag service and just got a title so I could renew the Maine license. It took 1 day.

Easy peasy

Comment

How much of the trailer can be from original manufacture and how much need be customized to get there, do you think?

Comment

I don't think it matters that much ......... lights, wheels, winch, pvc runners etc. I picked up some stuff at yard sales and flea markets ......... check out the DMV for the Regs and forms or use a tag and title like I did. It's easier than you think

Comment

Look on the trailer for a serial or VIN. Call the MVA and they can title search and a "bill of sale" would have been a good idea in case it was stolen or something before.

Use uni strut or square tubing for the supports. Schedule 40 pipe is strong, but over longer lengths its it not was a strong as square tubing. even 14ga square tubing is harder to bend than schedule 40 pipe.
            "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

google homemade trailer in maryland

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                Look on the trailer for a serial or VIN. Call the MVA and they can title search and a "bill of sale" would have been a good idea in case it was stolen or something before.

Use uni strut or square tubing for the supports. Schedule 40 pipe is strong, but over longer lengths its it not was a strong as square tubing. even 14ga square tubing is harder to bend than schedule 40 pipe.

The problem is that most trailers only have a sticker with the vin # and it either fades completely or wears off so there isn’t a vin number anywhere. However, it is easy to register it as homemade and get a new vin#.

Square tubing is good for struts support the tubes for supporting round pipes to support the yak. However, I wouldn’t use square tubing to support the yak because of the sharper edges creating more stress at concentrated points than a round support

Comment

Working...
                X