Pop rivets vs bolts and nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop rivets vs bolts and nuts

Have any of you had experience using pop rivets when attaching gear like geartrac or other accessories that might have to take stress such as rod holders, safety flags, etc?

I'm wondering if they are as strong as bolts and nuts. There are a few spots in my kayak where it would be next to impossible to install a geartrac with bolts and nuts and I want to know what I can put on the tracs that are installed with pop rivets.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

I've herd of pop rivets breaking under heavy loads. I don't think the average fish in the bay would do this. As long as the drag isn't super tight you should be fine. Like you said some areas that's really the only option other then well nuts. But on that note I would never use well nuts on my kayak. You have to drill larger holes and I don't find them to secure. Older ocean kayaks had them and I can't wait to replace mine. Putting gear tracks on the tank well of the ultra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg View Post
      Have any of you had experience using pop rivets when attaching gear like geartrac or other accessories that might have to take stress such as rod holders, safety flags, etc?

I'm wondering if they are as strong as bolts and nuts. There are a few spots in my kayak where it would be next to impossible to install a geartrac with bolts and nuts and I want to know what I can put on the tracs that are installed with pop rivets.
      I have used pop rivets on my anchor trolley and had it under some pretty heavy loads without sign of weakness. I have also used Yak Attack rigging bullets with a backing plate to secure mighty mounts in impossible to reach places. They aren't the easiest to install but they definitely work.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...Gear-Trac.html

Here is a installation video that includes them.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...Gear-Trac.html
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
        I've herd of pop rivets breaking under heavy loads. I don't think the average fish in the bay would do this. As long as the drag isn't super tight you should be fine. Like you said some areas that's really the only option other then well nuts. But on that note I would never use well nuts on my kayak. You have to drill larger holes and I don't find them to secure. Older ocean kayaks had them and I can't wait to replace mine. Putting gear tracks on the tank well of the ultra?

Main thing I want to do is put gear tracks behind me. The two flush mount rod holders are too close to my elbows when I paddle. I would also like to eventually put a mount for a go pro cam to take over the shoulder vids.
        Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
        Mercury 6hp

Comment

Another option would be a nutsert

Comment

A nutsert? I'm curious but afraid if I asked it would put me at the wrong end of a joke.
            Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
            Mercury 6hp

Comment

I have installed Scotty rodholder bases on all of my kayaks behind the seat. On most of the kayaks, I had access inside the hull so I could use bolts, washers, and nuts to attach them. However, on my Native Manta Ray 11, there is no access behind the seat. I elected to use well nuts to attach the rod holders. Although it is disconcerting to drill holes large enough for the well nuts, you are able to screw the rod holder bases down tight and can add some Goop if desired to plug holes.

I troll regularly with that kayak and have caught stripers and bluefish to the upper 20s from those rear rod holders.

FullSizeRender.jpg

If your intention is to attach a gear track, you can put multiple screws, bolts, or rivets into the track to hold it in place. You can also add a bed of Goop or 3M 5200 beneath the track to help secure it. Consider the types of stresses on the part you want to attach.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
              X