Paddle length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle length

Last week I bought a 12'8" sit on top. I absolutely love it after taking it out Saturday but I definitely noticed it's much slower than my previous 10' sit in. I'm thinking a big part is because I was using the same paddle as before and it certainly doesn't dig in as much. I used bending branches paddle sizer and it said I'm looking at a 260cm. I know sit ons are slower but do you guys think a longer paddle would help me move a bit quicker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well first off congrads on the new kayak. My first question would be what kayak is it? Paddle length has more to do with boat width and paddler height. Depending on the kayak I use anywhere from a 225cm all the way out to a 240cm. Unless you kayak is 36" wide I can't really see the need for a 260cm. Each kayak will have a top hull speed, just like boats no matter how much you push it you can only go so fast. I have found upgrading to a fiberglass or carbon paddle blade will improve your speed due to the stiffer blades. But even with that change you won't gain as much as you would think. It's more for all day endurance. So let's start off with the kayak make and I can get more info to you from there. Tight lines!

Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Thanks! It's an Ascend FS128T 12'8" long and 32" wide. It also has a 3 position seat which I like at the highest position. I am 6'1"

Comment

With that kayak I'd say a pretty safe bet is 240-250cm with the seat raised I could see the 250cm. I know most paddlers that go from regular kayaks to one with a elevated seat also said that moving to a high angle stroke was also easer to move the kayak as the raised seat kayak have more weight. What areas do you normally fish? I have a 240-250cm paddle your more then welcome to try out. I'm always looking to explore new waters. Also as far as speed the ascends aren't really known to be fast. With a pontoon style hull I'd say 3.5mph would be your max speed if I had to guess. Hope this helps. Again don't hesitate to reach out if you want to try out a few paddles. I have a 225-240 and a 240-250.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
        Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Thanks! The higher position is when I noticed the difference. I knew id have the drop in speed but its a sacrifice I needed to make. My little 10' sit in was like a rocket, when I fished with my buddies in sit-ons, Id beat them to the holes every time . However, having my arsenal of rods and lures is more important to me. I mostly fish Rocky Gorge and the Susquehanna. After a great day at the gorge on Saturday I'm pretty sure I'll return this weekend

Comment

Working...
          X