Annual striped bass index above average for 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual striped bass index above average for 2017

Today the Maryland DNR released the results of its annual survey of juvenile striped bass. For 2017, the index is 13.2 -- slightly higher than the 64-year average of 11.7. Although it would be great to have one of the rare high index years, 13.2 is not a bad number either.

The article can be seen at http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2017/10...lation-growth/.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Glad to hear it is heading in the right direction! Thanks for sharing the info
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

This is encouraging especially since 4 of the previous 5 years' spawn were below the average. Our cool wet 2017 spring probably helped. This bodes well for 2021-2022 when the 2017 fish should be legal sized.

But I've often wondered about their natural mortality. I suspect it must be very high in their early years and in particular, many must be lost between their 3rd and 5th years. Every year most of us on this forum catch a lot of 15 to 18 inch fish. Why don't they translate into similar numbers of legal catches in the subsequent year? I can tell you for me they don't.

Of course, the legal harvest takes many, so it's natural to catch less legal fish than shorts.

Perhaps too many younger fish just get in the way of our lures.

Or more likely the vast majority of stripers spawned simply do not make it to legal size. If that's the case, that's the statistic I'd like to know.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

This is great to hear. Hopefully the powers that be will continue to allow the fishery to rebound and not use this as an excuse to say "Everything's better now, fish away!"
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

The last time we had a strong YOY index was 2011. I had a letter published on the editorial page of the Annapolis Capital papers (Oct 2011) in response to them reporting the strong YOY index:

You mentioned the high rockfish young of the year (YOY) index value in your Editor’s notebook on October 22. That is excellent news for the Bay’s rockfish population and for fishermen. Nevertheless, I urge restraint and caution concerning your statement “Baby rockfish mean larger rockfish for fishermen three or four years from now.” I as well as most others concerned about the Chesapeake Bay and its fisheries resources are thrilled that this year’s YOY index came out high. Successfully navigating the water quality conditions at spawning time and an aggressive gamut of predators to become fingerlings is a great triumph for the young fish.

However, I think your statement is not as definitive as you may think. First of all, large numbers of baby rockfish are a necessary precursor for large numbers of adult rockfish. But the mere presence of lots of young fish does not always translate to large numbers of adult rockfish. There are many stressors (e.g., pollution, predation, weather/climatic events, illegal poaching of undersized fish) that can kill the young fish before they grow to an age of reproductive maturity or a size where they can be harvested legally by commercial and recreation fishermen. Likewise, lack of a readily-available nutritive and energy-rich food supply throughout the rockfishes' lives can slow down their growth rate and make them more susceptible to disease. The Capital has previously published articles about the importance of menhaden as a desired food source for growing rockfish, and how Atlantic coast-wide menhaden management strategies are currently under scrutiny.

In closing, I share your excitement about a high YOY index this year. But this important first step should not cause knee-jerk reactions about expanding harvest quotas or lifting of legitimate fishing restrictions. Nor should we as Chesapeake Bay residents become complacent that Mother Nature will always step up and fix things.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            But I've often wondered about their natural mortality. I suspect it must be very high in their early years and in particular, many must be lost between their 3rd and 5th years. Every year most of us on this forum catch a lot of 15 to 18 inch fish. Why don't they translate into similar numbers of legal catches in the subsequent year? I can tell you for me they don't.

Or more likely the vast majority of stripers spawned simply do not make it to legal size. If that's the case, that's the statistic I'd like to know.
            I think that's also an interesting question. It's rather obvious that very few get to be that massive size based on catch rates. It's the reason why I hate to see fish over 30" harvested. They're the ones making new fish, and because so few make it to the 30-50" range, let those go. Only the best of the species survive and I want as many of them to lay eggs as possible. We can eat the 20-28" fish in better conscience.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              I think that's also an interesting question. It's rather obvious that very few get to be that massive size based on catch rates. It's the reason why I hate to see fish over 30" harvested. They're the ones making new fish, and because so few make it to the 30-50" range, let those go. Only the best of the species survive and I want as many of them to lay eggs as possible. We can eat the 20-28" fish in better conscience.
              .......... and small stripers taste better

Comment

Working...
              X