A New Personal Best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Personal Best

My girlfriend and I launched on Kent Island at sunrise on Saturday to choppy water and cloudy skies. We caught a few small fish on the paddle out, but things picked up once we were 1.5-2 miles from the launch. We found several schools of larger fish in deep water, and some smaller ones breaking on top. We ended the day with at least 40 stripers between the two of us, including three keepers. Best of all was Katie's new personal best at 27" and 8 lbs!

IMG_2854.jpgIMG_2857 (1).jpg
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Nicely done, Katie!!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

She is a lucky charm.

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Congratulations on the personal best. Some larger stripers are showing up in Eastern Bay with reach of kayak launch points. Last Sat, while fishing from my boat, we got 22", 24", and 26" within 1.5 miles of a public launch. We later found a 28" about two miles from a different launch point.

There are many schools of 4"-6" menhaden in Eastern Bay now -- generally they are not being worked by birds or larger fish. I see plenty of working birds each time I am in Eastern Bay -- they are feeding on smaller baitfish. Most of the fish under birds are mid-teens, but are some larger ones too. When you are fishing near birds and breaking fish, check your fishfinder to see if there are any marks underneath the surface activity. If so, try jigging on them (I use a 2-oz Stingsilver, but other metal or plastic jigs would work too). Most of the fish I have caught are the same smaller fish as the ones on the surface, but on one trip we found weakfish (grey trout), and bluefish on the bottom.
        Last edited by J.A. Veil; 10-16-2017, 09:39 AM.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks! The schools we marked on Saturday seemed to be on the move. I did get a few bites jigging, but with the fish on the move combined with the wind, it was very difficult to stay over top of them. Most of our fish came while trolling, but we did get a few casting to breakers.
          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Congrats on the fish - that's a nice keeper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            J

Comment

Nice fish

Comment

Way to go! Great catching guys.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff