Flush Mount Fly Rod Holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flush Mount Fly Rod Holders

I was looking for a way to carry two fly rods on my new Revo in the flush mount rod holders that are located behind the seat. Of course, flush mounts cannot carry fly rods without modification. And, I absolutely did not want to drill into my boat to make additional mountings.

On my old Revo I carried my fly rods by mounting Scotty Fly Rod holders on my BlackPak. See here:

A.jpg A.jpg

That worked. But I want to simplify my future outings by reducing the gear I carry. I want to travel lighter by leaving my Blackpak home on my fly fishing trips. It is after all a rather heavy rod mount. I therefore looked to the flush mounts for an answer.

Scotty makes this product:
    https://www.austinkayak.com/products...apter-453.html

However, after reading various on-line reviews, I did not have confidence that they would work in Hobie’s flush mounts which differ in size from most other kayak makers. Many reviewers said the Scotty Gimball Mount would not fit snuggly into Hobie’s 1.75-inch diameter flush mounts. Some also commented on their steep price.

I’ve always been impressed with the creativity of kayak anglers here especially when it comes to PVC pipe solutions. So, I did some thinking and came up with the following PVC solution.

I started with these parts:

Holder 5.jpg

I bought a 2-foot piece of 1.25-inch PVC and 2 end caps at Home Depot for about $6. The rest of the items, the hardware, the Scotty rod holders and Gear Head mounts, I already had.

I cut the pipe into two 12-inch pieces.

I removed the track bolt on the Scotty Gear Head, I drilled a .25-inch hole in the center of each cap and attached Gear Head with a .25-inch
    bolt.

Holder 4.JPG Holder 3.JPG

Then I attached the cap to the pipe.

Holder 1.jpg

But I still had a problem. The pipe’s outside diameter which is slightly over 1.5 inches did not fit snuggly into the flush mount. I needed to increase the diameter of each pipe.

I found some Velcro tape in my wife’s sewing room and wrapped it around the pipes like this.

Holder 2.jpg

That worked! They are sufficiently snug to hold my rods safely.

Holder 6.jpg

I may have to make modifications after I put them in actual use but I think I will be able to travel a little lighter on my Revo fly rod outings.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Great project. Many Snaggedline members have come up with innovative (and modestly priced) ways to meet their rigging needs.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nicely done!!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Thanks guys.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

MacGyver approves !
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
            MacGyver approves !
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Mark, I made something similar when I first started and they worked ok. I didn’t like them sticking up vertical but now seeing what you did I’m sure you could make a joint/angle and point them back.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...c.php?p=691851
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                Mark, I made something similar when I first started and they worked ok. I didn’t like them sticking up vertical but now seeing what you did I’m sure you could make a joint/angle and point them back.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...c.php?p=691851
                Those are some fancy cuts in the PVC. Very functional. With PVC elbows the rods could indeed be angled. You're correct about difficulties with vertical storage. I lay mine back to get under the bridges on Weems and College Creeks in Annapolis and to avoid overhanging branches.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Simple, clean, and (seemingly) effective. Can't wait to hear how they work out.

Well done!

P.S. Congrats on the new Revo.
                  -manny

Hobie Outback
                  Wilderness Systems 130T
                  Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Cool Mark. I'm a little confused about how you connect the PVC end caps to the Scotty Fly Rod holders. Are those some type of black plastic Scotty product that allows for mounting to a slide track? Then you re-purposed that to mount to the PVC end caps?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                      Cool Mark. I'm a little confused about how you connect the PVC end caps to the Scotty Fly Rod holders. Are those some type of black plastic Scotty product that allows for mounting to a slide track? Then you re-purposed that to mount to the PVC end caps?
                      I initially thought the same, but I think he has it rigged with a Scotty base/receiver mighty mount 'wingnut' slider typically used in a gear-track, removed and re-installed inside the PVC cap & tightened down secure.

Last edited by mchottie; 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM. Reason: grammar & correct photo link
                      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                        I initially thought the same, but I think he has it rigged with a Scotty base/receiver mighty mount 'wingnut' slider typically used in a gear-track, removed and re-installed inside the PVC cap & tightened down secure.

Michael, Tom,

Yes. I used the Scotty Gear Head Track Adapter 438.

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...apter-438.html

I removed the 1/4 inch bolt that comes with the Adapter:

Holder 8.jpg

I replaced it with a longer 1/4 inch bolt, a washer and a lock washer on the underside of the cap. There's a photo of that in my original post.

Here's a closer look at the actual connection of the Scotty Adapter to the PVC cap:

Holder 7.JPG

Note that I placed a 1/4 inch nut under the Scotty Adapter and on top of the PVC cap. That allows me to tighten the bolt in the PVC cap to prevent it from spinning. This also allows me to remove and use the Scotty Adapter on my Native Ultimate's Gear Tracks by merely replacing the original bolt in the first photo of this post into the Adapter.

Lastly, I did not glue the PVC connections. It's a very snug fit as it is. However, I used a sheet metal screw to ensure the cap is securely fastened to the pipe. You can see that screw in the second photo above.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                        X