Outriggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outriggers

Anyone use outriggers in rougher water? Been contemplating it for my Hobie AI. At 28 inches wide and 16 feet long it is fast, cuts through waves, tracks well but is susceptible to flipping. I am 6 foot and 215 pounds. I do practice reentry in all my kayaks and can do it. A recent dump a couple of weeks ago in choppy conditions made it real hard. Took a rogue wave from rear and dumped me. Most of my fishing is done in the colder months. I now added a trolling motor and I am sure the ease of reflipping and reentry just got harder. I don't stand and fish and would have the floats just above water line so drag should be minimal. I do have PFD and drysuit in use. Any input would be appreciated.
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Just thinking...wouldn't outriggers get in the way when reeling in fish? I bring in many of my catches 90 degrees to the beam both sides.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The ones I was looking at mount behind the seat area and still give you 90 degrees to each side. I am sure they can get in the way. I am sure there is a trade off between not flipping and inconvenience.
      Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Just thinking...wouldn't outriggers get in the way when reeling in fish? I bring in many of my catches 90 degrees to the beam both sides.
      John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Before he moved to Arizona I fished quite a bit with Fishinggod who had a PA with outriggers. I never saw him have issues fighting or landing a fish because of them. His were slightly aft but extended up into the area I consider to be prime fish landing area. Now why you need outriggers on a PA is another story.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

How was handling with bay chop. Did they affect tracking much when waves hit them? Yea, PA are pretty solid, but I do wonder how easy to flip back over incase they do turtle
          Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Before he moved to Arizona I fished quite a bit with Fishinggod who had a PA with outriggers. I never saw him have issues fighting or landing a fish because of them. His were slightly aft but extended up into the area I consider to be prime fish landing area. Now why you need outriggers on a PA is another story.
          John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

I have fairly conservative standards so not out in super heavy chop with him. I think he still checks the forum so you might send a PM to get it straight from the horses mouth.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
            X