Speckled, spotted and breaking in St Mary's River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speckled, spotted and breaking in St Mary's River

I was late hitting the water as I sorted out the days plans with my daughter who is home from college for the weekend. As expected, between shopping with the wife/mom and hitting sushi with her friends, there was no reason not to go fishing. Additionally, I needed to catch some perch for my wife's Pre-K art project.....it is "Ff" week so fish prints are on tap.
    I want get into detail, but catching white perch was super easy,....but the fun was the wide variety of fish I caught as I explored the shoreline and little Creek and marsh inlets. Lizardfish, my first ever, perch, many flounder including one just short of legal, short rock rich and a colorful puppy drum all succumbed to either my gold drone spoon or gold spinner/salt and pepper bass assassin on a 1/8oz jig. I was casting at another redfish that was chasing minnows. But he was fixated on a little school of silversides and would not be dissuaded.
    Right after I gave up on the redfish, blues and rockfish started breaking. There were some nice Rock in the group, but the blues were so thick, they hit my lure as soon as it hit the water. I did catch a couple that were keeper size(yum). Eventually they disappeared and I headed back towards the ramp....I was nearly there when I FINALLY caught a keeper trout (spec)! So happy....
    from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
    I was late hitting the water as I sorted out the days plans with my daughter who is home from college for the weekend. As expected, between shopping with the wife/mom and hitting sushi with her friends, there was no reason not to go fishing. Additionally, I needed to catch some perch for my wife's Pre-K art project.....it is "Ff" week so fish prints are on tap.
    I want get into detail, but catching white perch was super easy,....but the fun was the wide variety of fish I caught as I explored the shoreline and little Creek and marsh inlets. Lizardfish, my first ever, perch, many flounder including one just short of legal, short rock rich and a colorful puppy drum all succumbed to either my gold drone spoon or gold spinner/salt and pepper bass assassin on a 1/8oz jig. I was casting at another redfish that was chasing minnows. But he was fixated on a little school of silversides and would not be dissuaded.
    Right after I gave up on the redfish, blues and rockfish started breaking. There were some nice Rock in the group, but the blues were so thick, they hit my lure as soon as it hit the water. I did catch a couple that were keeper size(yum). Eventually they disappeared and I headed back towards the ramp....I was nearly there when I FINALLY caught a keeper trout (spec)! So happy....
    from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I'll be down that way this coming weekend and friday with both kayaks for me and the wife. We are staying in a beach front cottage and double dipping alumni weekend at St. Mary's college and anniversary trip. Hoping to get out on the water friday for a few fish.
    Matt (Formerly CB Kayak 02 "Over 3,000 Posts")
    CCA Annapolis Chapter President

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

Originally posted by thehobielife View Post
      I'll be down that way this coming weekend and friday with both kayaks for me and the wife. We are staying in a beach front cottage and double dipping alumni weekend at St. Mary's college and anniversary trip. Hoping to get out on the water friday for a few fish.
      you alumni know all the spots!

Comment

Great report and pictures Kevin. You had a slam and then some. I had to text the picture of the Lizard fish to Big Mike, so he could Identify it for me LOL Toothy little rascals.

Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Who knew Rocktober was going to be trout and redfish? Very strange year. Glad you got into some fish.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I hope to be out there in about an hour to catch the falling tide!!!!
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

you fishing in a yelliw yak?

Comment

Outstanding Kevin. Impressive variety. Good to see you are making up for those missed summer days.
                Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                Predator 13

Comment

Sorry I could not join you- my wife needed me...I plan on launching Wednesday 8-8:30...been a great year for Gator trout and reds...figure they will hang around as long as the water temps are still warm...time for the bigger stripers to move in...
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-16-2017, 10:05 PM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                    you fishing in a yelliw yak?
                    Kevin-if your question was for me; I was out in my red Wilderness Tsunami 145 and I lent my dune Outback to my buddy. We launched at the college and initially tried casting to grass banks-no joy. Encountered some WP and came across a breaking school of bait at a point, but it was a bit rough and dicey. The point where we encountered the breaking bait, also had a lot of traffic and windsurfers. We went up river into the lee and I got a few schoolie rock. The interesting part of the afternoon was right at dead low tide, we encountered bigger breaking fish at bend. I surmise that the big fish and been working the bait down river with the falling tide and "pinned" them against the bend and we had a blitz that lasted 4-5 minutes. Great fun. Unfortunately, probably some blues mixed in with the larger rock as my plastic shad got completely chomped right below the hook. The only other thing of note was my buddy landed a bread plate sized flounder. As an aside, noob question-how are you adding larger images? I'm using the "insert image" option to add a picture of some of the bait I encoutered, but it seems to only show up as a small image. menhaden.jpg
                    Tight lines
                    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
                      Outstanding Kevin. Impressive variety. Good to see you are making up for those missed summer days.
                      trying to get in a few between work and wind!

Comment

Wow!
                        It happened.

Joe
                        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                          Wow!
                          It happened.

Joe
                          I know.....surprising, lol

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
                            Kevin-if your question was for me; I was out in my red Wilderness Tsunami 145 and I lent my dune Outback to my buddy. We launched at the college and initially tried casting to grass banks-no joy. Encountered some WP and came across a breaking school of bait at a point, but it was a bit rough and dicey. The point where we encountered the breaking bait, also had a lot of traffic and windsurfers. We went up river into the lee and I got a few schoolie rock. The interesting part of the afternoon was right at dead low tide, we encountered bigger breaking fish at bend. I surmise that the big fish and been working the bait down river with the falling tide and "pinned" them against the bend and we had a blitz that lasted 4-5 minutes. Great fun. Unfortunately, probably some blues mixed in with the larger rock as my plastic shad got completely chomped right below the hook. The only other thing of note was my buddy landed a bread plate sized flounder. As an aside, noob question-how are you adding larger images? I'm using the "insert image" option to add a picture of some of the bait I encoutered, but it seems to only show up as a small image. [ATTACH=CONFIG]22451[/ATTACH]
                            i don't know how I get big pics....used to post using link to facebook pics(post from url)....but loaded these directly from my phone

Comment

Working...
                            X