Thread: Cooler seat

Default Cooler seat

So I'm tossing around the idea of getting a small cooler to put in place of where my seat goes for a raised seat while bass fishing. I'm just kinda curious if anyone has done this in the past. I've mounted on to a paddleboard back in the day, just never a kayak. I like the idea of keeping my center of gravity as low as possible and don't see myself upgrading to a frame style seat kayak. What are some of your thoughts? I try and fish standing but it can be a challenge at times. I have no issues standing up and paddling around but bending to reach rods and putting down the paddle mess me up from time to time. So has anyone tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Just to be clear, you're talking about removing your seat and putting a small cooler in its place, right?

If so, my main concerns would be stability, as you mentioned, and back support. If your trips are longer than an hour, and you have to paddle any distance at all, this would be really tough to do without a seat back.
    Trident Ultra 4.3
    Pompano 120
    Garmin Striker 4dv

Yeah the idea was to get a small cooler to put in the tank well and move it up to sit on. After getting out on the water last week and trying to sit on the raised area behind the seat this idea is a bust. To much moving back and forth. I took a note from another kayak angler and just fished from my knees and later my rods on the deck. It worked really well for sight casting weed edges to find bass. Now I think I'm just going to install sea deck on both of my kayaks to add some support for long days sight casting the banks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140