Cooler seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooler seat

So I'm tossing around the idea of getting a small cooler to put in place of where my seat goes for a raised seat while bass fishing. I'm just kinda curious if anyone has done this in the past. I've mounted on to a paddleboard back in the day, just never a kayak. I like the idea of keeping my center of gravity as low as possible and don't see myself upgrading to a frame style seat kayak. What are some of your thoughts? I try and fish standing but it can be a challenge at times. I have no issues standing up and paddling around but bending to reach rods and putting down the paddle mess me up from time to time. So has anyone tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Just to be clear, you're talking about removing your seat and putting a small cooler in its place, right?

If so, my main concerns would be stability, as you mentioned, and back support. If your trips are longer than an hour, and you have to paddle any distance at all, this would be really tough to do without a seat back.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Yeah the idea was to get a small cooler to put in the tank well and move it up to sit on. After getting out on the water last week and trying to sit on the raised area behind the seat this idea is a bust. To much moving back and forth. I took a note from another kayak angler and just fished from my knees and later my rods on the deck. It worked really well for sight casting weed edges to find bass. Now I think I'm just going to install sea deck on both of my kayaks to add some support for long days sight casting the banks.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

So it looks like this has been done before. Maybe I will look into it during the spring. First upgrade will be some seadek for the kayak first.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
        Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Raised seat

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post

So it looks like this has been done before. Maybe I will look into it during the spring. First upgrade will be some seadek for the kayak first.

You have a feel free kayak so you should check with the nearest dealer to see if the seat they have will convert to you boat. I have one on my Lure 11.5 and with the option of 10 seat heights it is the most comfortable for any style fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by atlast33 View Post
            You have a feel free kayak so you should check with the nearest dealer to see if the seat they have will convert to you boat. I have one on my Lure 11.5 and with the option of 10 seat heights it is the most comfortable for any style fishing.
            The name is misleading, I sold my moken 14 this summer to get a pompano 120. The longer kayaks were great but I’ve moved on to a trident 13 (pictured in the photo) and the pompano 12. I just wanted to keep my kayaks around 60lbs.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
            Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I've got a 40qt coleman marine that fits PERFECTLY between the rails on my Pursuit. I plan to get some rail-tiedowns and do exactly this, this summer, and strap a stadium seat to the top of it. I'm almost always standing and moving from down-to-up is what usually hurts me.
              2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
              2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
              2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
              2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Comment

Working...
              X