Bull Red and some surprises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bull Red and some surprises

I went out on Friday and Saturday hitting both slack tides each day. The full moon was making the current rip harder than usual and turning it on faster than predicted. I was the only kayaker out there both days at first island, until I saw Joe on the way back in on Saturday in the evening.

Friday:
    Launched around 4:30 AM and made it to first island by 6:15, when the first predicted slack tide was supposed to occur. I caught some croaker on the way and eventually a spot, which is my favorite live bait to use out there. There were some gray trout mixed in with the bait fish around 12-14". I had one hookup on the morning slack, but the hook came out and then after that it was all sharks taxing my bait.

I hung around the backside of first island and rested, while the current raged on. Eventually it calmed down and I managed to hook into a 40" bull. The fight was fairly short compared to my last one and it still had a ton of energy when I was trying to lip it and take photos. I only had to revive it for a few minutes, because it was trying to escape my grip.

Saturday:
    Launched around 5:30 AM and made it to first island by 6:45 with live bait again. I had a few sharks take my bait again and then the current switched over. I anchored up not far from the pier by the backside of first island and left some lines out while I rested. That was when I landed my first shark out there. When the tide went slack, I headed out to throw some baits, it was really really rough as the winds kicked up from the south west. All of the boats were staying on the backside of first island, so I was the only one out there for the first hour. Two other boats joined me eventually. I finally hooked up on a live spot I had, but after a minute it came off again. Moments later the boat next to me hooked up and they were fighting that fish for over 35 minutes before it broke them off. I ended up catching a keeper flounder (20.5") on some crab fish bites that I was using to catch bait fish. I also caught a spadefish, which surprised me because I thought they would have left for warmer water by now. I had three hookups that I couldn't keep the hook set on for bull reds.

40Red.jpg
    Flounderkeep.jpg
    J

It was very nice to meet Jake.

Here is another report:
    On Saturday at CBBT, there was no kayakers at all. I expected many kayakers. Jake caught me on the way back to the beach.

I fished Rudee first. I caught 2 specks at 18" before the sunrise at around 5:45 AM. After that no bites at all. I didn't see anyone caught anything. I gave the specks away thinking I would catch good size keeper puppy drum at CBBT. After lunch, I fished at CBBT. Between the first SBC and the second SBC, two big fish broke the leader while jigging for flounder. But no flounder. I bottom-fished for tog or sheepshead with whole fresh shrimp. Another big fish broke the leader. I assume the big fish were Bull Reds. I caught 3 conger eel, 8 black sea bass under 11" and 10 croaker at 12-14". I came back with 3 croaker at 14".

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Another report to add to Joe's and Jake's.

I had other priorities, but I finally made it out to my favorite place. It was my first yak fishing trip this year.

Friday was a near-perfect day: small surf, 1-ft waves, light winds, moderate current and a sunny day (70s). Water was about 72 deg. Didn't catch much while jigging a white bucktail as well as hanging shrimp. Saw half-dozen yakers out there and talked to a couple of them. They caught blue fish, a small bull, eel and other dink fish. No flounder. So, a slow day.

Nice to get back fishing on a very nice day; only to be marred by the terrific traffic on the way back home to Northern Virginia.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Tufnik,
        I am so glad that you were back. I am expecting to see the yellow Outback soon. OK, I will give you a call when I go.

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-09-2017, 07:53 AM.
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

nice report Jake!!
          2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

How's the flounder action this year? I haven't gone but once with Joe. I need to make a trip or 2 before winter comes.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
              How's the flounder action this year? I haven't gone but once with Joe. I need to make a trip or 2 before winter comes.
              It's been slow and really inconsistent. Lately, they have been bycatch when targeting other species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              J

Comment

Jake,

Do you just use a gopro hat clip?

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                  Jake,

Do you just use a gopro hat clip?

No, I've been using one of the generic GoPro elastic headstraps. I think it came with a bundle of knockoff accessories I bought a long time ago for mountain biking.

I'm thinking about adding an additional camera and mount for a side/front view for videos, but I haven't settled on which product I would prefer to use.
                  J

Comment

Working...
                  X