Cbka no fly zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cbka no fly zone

I signed up again for the second time in the tourney and had a great time.
    As I checked in on Friday i was told the fly division was removed, sad to hear especially after they finally start a fly board on snaggedline. I fly fished last year and caught a few , lost by an inch or two.
    This year without the fly being part of the contest I decided to bucktail around eastern bay. Started off with some serious pullage, only to be a cow nose ray.
    Then the fishing evaporated for me for 6 hours. I covered more water and casted every bit of plastic , wood and metal that I had.
    Decided it was time for the fly rod. I tucked into a creek that was pouring out and got into the Lee and started casting. I hooked up on a two handed retrieved chartreuse and white clouser minnow. 19.25 inch striped bass. Finally on the board. Caught one more at the back of the creek on my way out.
    I hope they bring the fly division back, nothing more exciting then catching linesiders on the fly.
    Tight lines
    Rich
    Attached Files

Congratulations on your catch. It certainly deserved official recognition.

That's very unfortunate that CBKA officials removed the fly division.

Now I do not feel so bad about not being able to participate yesterday.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Outstanding. Striped bass on the fly is a fishing goal of mine.

Comment

I've kind of become a fly fishing junkie. Wherever I go I like to bring my gear, fly is way easier to travel with. Except checking a bag, hooks not allowed as a carry on, it's fun to explore new areas.
        I like to catch fish but the gratification from catching on the fly makes up for a slow day on the water.

Comment

I'm glad you were able to have a good time at CBKA! Hopefully someone (or several someones) will step up and keep the event going! I have enjoyed watching the local kayak group grow from 10s to 100s to 1000s on this forum. I enjoyed starting CBKA and hosting an event for local folks that enjoy kayak fishing to come together and raise money for conservation and an excellent charity.

It's been a fun run since we started it but it's time for us to step back and pass it on to the next group. It seems like the fly-fishing group is growing on here but we did not have many of the fly guys make the tournament. Perhaps if it continues one of the Free-State fly guys or another can step up and help the tournament group to better attract and cater to you guys.

I've spent a lot of time kayak fishing and a lot of time fly fishing, but hardly if ever at the same time! You guys have a special dedication to want to fly fish from a kayak. Especially a paddle kayak! Was that you out by the bay bridge whipping the fly with the wind?
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Redfish, thanks for writing such a great response. I had a great time at the tournament, met a great bunch of people. Hope to see them again on the water, lance get that vhf working I'll be checking 28.
            I was in the narrows fishing both sides of prospect bay. Had a feeling the bridge would produce but with the wind I knew I would be wishing for that extra 15 feet.
            I tried recruiting some for the fly division but they were busy this weekend. I'll have to look into free state. I would love to be more involved, maybe I can start with tempting danmarino to venture out next time with his fly gear. Got to start somewhere.
            Tight lines
            Rich

Comment

Rich,

I was an active participant in the CBKA tournament for the four previous years. I brought my fly rods and concentrated on that portion of the tournament -- which is very difficult to do given the wind is usually howling throughout the Bay in the fall. However, there are many places to find shelter -- you were in one of my favorites. Those spots may not be the most ideal for those seeking larger fish, but catching schoolie stripers and white perch on the fly in the Bay is not difficult and I always returned with entries.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning that those who concentrated on the fly division in years past at the CBKA tournament automatically took themselves out of the running for cash prizes as none were ever offered. The CBKA did provide a nice certificate to the fly division winner and for the past two years the Free State Fly Fishers provided a large box of flies tied by its members, a wonderful prize I was fortunate enough to receive each year. Also, one year, Tochterman's provided a box of flies that I won. But again, no cash prizes were offered. Perhaps a cash prize would add legitimacy to the fly division and entice more people to participate.

I mention the above because the FSFF of which I am a member has indeed supported the tournament in the past. I do not know why there was no fly division this year nor do I know if the FSFF was asked to provide a prize. I heard no mention of it at their meetings.

Like many others I was very disappointed when I saw the date of the tournament had been moved from September to October. There was a significant decline in attendance this year. I don't know how much of that was due to the date change. I do know that the tournament is a well-run event and its cause is very worthy. The organizers are to be commended for providing an outstanding event for the kayaking community and supporting an excellent charity. I would have been out there again this past Saturday, but I could not due to a longstanding prior commitment.

So, if the tournament continues, preferably for me in September, I will be back and I will do what I can to reinstate the fly division and to increase participation in it.
              Last edited by Mark; 10-09-2017, 07:55 AM.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbev67 View Post
                I signed up again for the second time in the tourney and had a great time.
                As I checked in on Friday i was told the fly division was removed, sad to hear especially after they finally start a fly board on snaggedline. I fly fished last year and caught a few , lost by an inch or two.
                This year without the fly being part of the contest I decided to bucktail around eastern bay. Started off with some serious pullage, only to be a cow nose ray.
                Then the fishing evaporated for me for 6 hours. I covered more water and casted every bit of plastic , wood and metal that I had.
                Decided it was time for the fly rod. I tucked into a creek that was pouring out and got into the Lee and started casting. I hooked up on a two handed retrieved chartreuse and white clouser minnow. 19.25 inch striped bass. Finally on the board. Caught one more at the back of the creek on my way out.
                I hope they bring the fly division back, nothing more exciting then catching linesiders on the fly.
                Tight lines
                Rich
                Congrats on your catch. It surely merited authority acknowledgment.

That is extremely heartbreaking that CBKA authorities evacuated the fly division.

Comment

Working...
                X