Need Avise for a keeper Rock tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Avise for a keeper Rock tomorrow

With the heavy rain coming and last days of the light winds ...
    Where should I go to get a keeper rock?

Crab Alley Bay & Turkey Point?
    Chester - Love Point
    Chester - Eastern Neck

So I left Goodhands and fished the Narrows, the breakwater, the Chester seeking shelter from the building south wind. No hits no runs no errors. Mindboggling. Tried everything - rubber shads, rattlettrap, bucktails, bass assassins, metals, poppers, and perfect looking clousers with flouro leader and clear intermediate line. Saw many guys out kayaking and no one caught a thing. Closed the day with a flounder on a rattletrap in Kirwans Creek. Go figure.

20171007_103948_HDR_small.jpg

Comment

My experience with Goodhands is that it's either hot or it's not. So the best advice I can offer when the fish are finicky is to enjoy the scenery and stay out of the way of the professional crabber that routinely works the area.

Seriously, you hit the right areas, although I rarely see the need to venture to the Chester from Goodhands. I especially like the entire perimeter of Hog island, which is now two islands. Also I like the mouth of Kirwan Creek and I like to fish the sod bank shoreline that heads south from Kirwan. Near the breakwater, the yacht club riprap wall is often a good area and the point in front of the club may hold fish when the tide is moving out. I hooked a real nice striper at that precise spot last month.

I have launched many times at Goodhands and never have I encountered breaking stripers in the areas I mentioned above. Perhaps that's just ill-timing on my part but I do find it odd. I have seen baitfish galore breaking the surface, however.

My preferred time to fish Goodhands is on a high and falling tide.

Regarding flouro leaders and clear intermediate line, stripers are not at all leader shy. Your approach cannot hurt but it is not a necessary one in my opinion. I believe you caught none because none were there. I cannot imagine that any of your terminal tackle choices deterred them.

Lastly, congrats on your flounder. I caught a little one on a Clouser a foot from the shoreline of Hog Island on 30 September. A fellow in a nearby boat said to me as I pedaled past him, "That was a nice fat white perch you caught back there." I was embarrassed to tell him it was a flounder.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

My super expensive totalstructurescanningimaging FF does no good (except depth / FOW) if there are no actual fish present. I think that may be the case, as Mark described. I was in the Severn last week, and 45 minutes trolling I did not mark one fish on the FF. Luckily closer to dusk, and with the fish in constant movement, I was able to land some quality perch.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
        X