Mornings Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mornings Off

What a difference a day makes…..well, yes and no. The last 2 mornings I headed out at sunrise to troll and see if any decent fish had returned to the local area. You can tell where I’m at by the sunrise shots. Tues was solo and had a keeper in the first 30 mins. Took off to chase birds for the next hour plus. Bait, Breakers, birds, and small fish everywhere. Left it to come back to the morning spot & landed another keeper as part of a double header for a quick 3 hour trip. Off to an afternoon of work.
    IMG_20171003_070714731_HDR.jpgIMG_20171003_101601198.jpg
    Wed had a buddy with me. He got a 24 in the first 30 mins. I got a 24 within an hour. We took off in search of more fish/action & the area was void of all activity. No idea where all those schools of bait & fish went, but didn’t find them. I did pick up another casting at a known spot in the area. My buddy lost his next keeper at the yak. Not a ton of action for 4 hours, but some good fish. Trying to get some work done. Thanks, Dave
    IMG_20171004_070735969.jpgIMG_20171004_113545191.jpg

Rocking the "Rocktober" Nice report and nice pictures. I love that rod-saver decal

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Nice-looking fish!
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

It's all about your old Revo Manny. That yak is a beast. So glad I finally stepped up to a pedal yak. Thanks, Dave

Comment

Great shots! Congrats on the keepers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          J

Comment

Nice fish, congrats! What were you trolling and casting?
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I’ll start by saying that I’m very biased when it comes to lure choice. I pretty much only use the Specialized Baits products made by my buddy George. In fact stop by at any of the winter fishing shows and say Hi because I’m one of the guys at the table helping to sell them. I became such a believer in them that I help him out. Right now it is a ½ oz Li’l jimy with a twisty tail. I’m experimenting with 3 different types of plastic tails. All 3 are working – even the larger fat tails. If I'm in the boat I only use a naked Jimy to cast. No need for the plastic tail. This week I got lazy & the fish hit even with this long plastic tail on it.

For jigging I only use a Li'l Bunker. You can also cast them, but man do they work for jigging. Don't be afraid to use the Shaggy Shad as well for jigging. That has been my go to on the boat for casting/jigging in the spring/fall. Rock will also hit a trolled Shaggy Shad. Did that around this time last year. Dropped it over with a BKD while I peddled & messed with rigs planning to replace it. Fish hit it without a twisty tail so I kept at it. Shallow water, shorelines, summer while the world is LL I use a Jimy. I'm also a smack-it jr guy for topwater. That is about all I carry and use on the both the yak & boat. Thanks, Dave (Not to say I don't experiment with other rigs like Cpt John Spoonbrealla on yak, wind cheaters, drones for mac's etc. when I need to mix it up)

Comment

Dave,

I’m also a big fan of Specialized Baits. I love using a 3/4oz Li’l Bunker spoon in white. It casts like a dream and catches fish left and right. I always have one tied on just in case I come across breaking fish - there is nothing better.

I haven’t tried the other Specialized Bait offerings, but from your reviews of them, it seems like I’ll have to. What size Li’l Bunker do you like to use for jigging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

We (when I take the boat out) always have 1 rod with a bunker on it. I use the 1oz when I can get away with it, or the 2 oz. I use the 3.5 (And we have a bunch of them) in Nov/Dec at Pt. Lookout. One of my goals is try the yak down there. I tell everyone the 3.5 will:

a. Wear your out jigging
                  b. Can snap a rod like what I did a few yrs ago
                  c. Will catch bigger fish

That being said one of the coolest things is dropping a 1 or 2 oz bunker and just feeling the rock hit it. The only lure that I can say where you feel them on the jig. Maybe I’m hitting them on the head, maybe they are blindly running into it, or they might be just hitting it. Use one in a school and you will see what I mean.

In Sept we found a school of breakers. Four of us were casting & finding little fish. The next thing to do is to drop to the bottom looking for larger fish. We didn’t find any, but we picked up 2 dozen 10+ inch perch under this huge school on Li’l Bunkers. I was using a 1, my buddy a 2 & same results. So almost anything will hit them.

Li’l Jimy’s just work. Game changers. Start with a ½ oz naked Jimy and you will become a believer. Shaggy shads were super-hot last year, and we slayed late May outside of Poplar using them this year. Those always get dressed with plastic. It is just like when you find a rod/reel combo that works for you. These lures work for me, I’m comfortable using them, and I have confidence fishing them. I think everyone has their favorite go to choice. Thanks, Dave

Comment

Dave,

I agree, nothing beats Pt. Lookout in December! I'm not so sure I want to try it in kayak though - at least not until I purchase a dry suit :-)

I guess I'll have to pick up some Li'l Jimy's and try them out.

If you are willing to try new jigging tackle, I would recommend picking up some "G-Eye Jigs". The guy who makes them is local guide out of Chesapeake Beach and they work great! I'm a fan of the big eye, I think it elicits a natural instinct in a predator to strike it.

Here is the website: http://www.geyejigs.com/

...and here is the result after using one at Pt. Lookout in December
                    IMG_1359.jpg
                    Last edited by baitball; 10-10-2017, 11:08 AM.
                    -manny

Hobie Outback
                    Wilderness Systems 130T
                    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
                    X