Homemade Senkos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're really hooked now.

There's something special about catching a fish on a lure you had a hand in creating.

Congratulations.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

And another addict is hooked!

Comment

I'll give you my bluefish biteoffs if I havent already tossed them in thevtrash.

Comment

Super cool!!!

Look like startup cost is roughly $300. Is that right?

According to this guy, there's also a dual chamber injector that allows you to inject two different colors at once to get some really interesting color combinations in your DIY soft baits:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOD-QD0yE9Y&t=442s

smithmal
          smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
          Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

the startup that my gf got me was def not $300. $40 for the senko mold and $78 for the plastic kit. So only $118 all from Do-It. It's all you need to get started. However, definitely buy scent so you don't end up with plastic smelling baits like I did. The dual colors are made using a lamiplate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by acwatkins View Post
              the startup that my gf got me was def not $300. $40 for the senko mold and $78 for the plastic kit. So only $118 all from Do-It. It's all you need to get started. However, definitely buy scent so you don't end up with plastic smelling baits like I did. The dual colors are made using a lamiplate.

Thanks for the reply. What scent would you suggest. Can you "inject" other scents into your bait?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
              smithmal

Comment

Do-It has a few that piqued my interest. I have yet to order it but I think I'm going to try the Hawg Sauce by Upper Hand Scents. They have 7 on do-it, I'm sure there's more available. I'm not positive about other scents but these are ok to add to your liquified plastic before pouring in the mold

Comment

just went on upper hand scents website and they have a pretty impressive amount available. they also offer a variety pack where you can choose 6 different scents for $20

Comment

just went on upper hand scents website and they have a pretty impressive amount available. they also offer a variety pack where you can choose 6 different scents for $20
                    Thanks for the response. When making a batch of soft baits, how much scent is typically added to the plastic? I see on the Upper Hand Scents webpage, the sampler kit for $20 comes with 2oz bottles. Also, how do you know if a scent is compatible with the process of pouring DIY baits? Would any scent work, or does it have to be made of specific components that would allow it to not degrade from the heat necessary when pouring the DIY baits?

smithmal
                    smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                      Thanks for the response. When making a batch of soft baits, how much scent is typically added to the plastic? I see on the Upper Hand Scents webpage, the sampler kit for $20 comes with 2oz bottles. Also, how do you know if a scent is compatible with the process of pouring DIY baits? Would any scent work, or does it have to be made of specific components that would allow it to not degrade from the heat necessary when pouring the DIY baits?

smithmal
                      A few drops per ounce of plastisol will work. It's really personal preference but 1-2 drops per ounce is enough. Scents must be oil based and not have organic matter that would burn off from the heat. I joined a forum on do-it that's nothing but custom bait talk. Most of the guys there only add scents after and none during the melt. Science says the scent must emulsify in the water to have any affect on bass what so ever. So essentially adding during the melt doesn't matter. I added some powerbait scent to the bags of my plastic smelling senkos and they have no plastic scent now.

Comment

A few drops per ounce of plastisol will work. It's really personal preference but 1-2 drops per ounce is enough. Scents must be oil based and not have organic matter that would burn off from the heat. I joined a forum on do-it that's nothing but custom bait talk. Most of the guys there only add scents after and none during the melt. Science says the scent must emulsify in the water to have any affect on bass what so ever. So essentially adding during the melt doesn't matter. I added some powerbait scent to the bags of my plastic smelling senkos and they have no plastic scent now.

Thanks for your response. What is meant by "injecting" scent into a soft lure? Is that all just marketing speech for shipping lures with scent coated on the outside of the lure?

Thanks,

smithmal
                        smithmal

Comment

I'm not positive but if I had to guess it's definitely marketing. Might refer to adding the scent when they melt the plastic but I'm not sure. Either way, if I was a betting man id bet they aren't physically injecting baits with scent, that just wouldn't work...

Comment

So here's what I've read: The reason that people put bait scent directly into the plastic is to reduce/mask the smell of the plastisol in the final product. They will then go about coating the lure as well with a scent, but the initial "injection" step is done to mitigate the plastisol smell as much as possible. As others have indicated, injecting a bait scent directly into the plastic when making the mold is not going allow the scent to readily solubilize into the water (i.e. make it an attractant), however, it is believed that the more you can reduce the plastisol smell of your lure, the better.

Interesting video here:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EInoAa-aLHA

The OP uses a glass bead media as an additive instead of salt when pouring his senkos as he says that the glass bead media:
                            1. Increases the weight (just like salt) so the lure slowly falls to the bottom in water
                            2. Increases the lures strength
                            3. Makes the lures more translucent so that flakes can be seen in the interior of the lure rather than just on the outside

Anybody ever used glass bead media when pouring senkos?

smithmal
                            Last edited by smithmal; 11-07-2017, 06:01 PM.
                            smithmal

Comment

Working...
                            X