Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Senkos

Default Homemade Senkos

So I've been toying around with the idea of pouring my own plastics for a while now. Given the price of everything for the start-up I was hesitating and kept putting it off. Well, I guess my girlfriend got tired of hearing me talk about it so she went ahead and got me the kit and a senko mold from Do-It! We poured a batch last night to play around and test it out, and man is it satisfying! I can already tell it's going to become yet another fishing addiction of mine. Here's what they came out to. Definitely went a little too heavy on the glitter but I like the look, they're extremely stretchy too. I can't wait to test them out Friday and pour new combos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outstanding purple-metal flake! Or is that pink? haha. In either case, I can see how that would be fun.

Reminds me of a toy/kit I had as a kid called 'Creepy Crawlers' where we could melt and mold our own critters. Of course that was nearly 50 years ago. Have fun.
    ---------------------------------------
    2015 Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
    12' Perception Pescador
    10' Perception Pescador

Nice job.

I've never made soft plastics.

How do you prepare the plastic? Do you heat it?

Thank you,
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Can you remelt the overflow or is that just part of the cost of making them? Can you buy different texture plastics?

Pretty cool. Now if they had a paddle tail mold that would be awesome.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

I saw a video on making your own molds. I'm thinking about trying to make a mold for bkd's

Baitmold.com carries a very complete line of molds including swimbaits and paddle tails.
    Below is one of their models.

DSC00054-300x300.jpg

You can reheat and recast scraps and waste pieces.

I tried doing the soft plastic thing, once, heating the liquid plastisol on a hot plate in my school shop. I made a plaster mold of sluggos when they first cam out.
    I didn't control the heat properly, and the shop ventilation wasn't up to dispersing the fumes.
    The smell was so bad that that the Home Ec teacher in the room next door gave me hell because it ruined her cooking demo. Be aware the fumes were brutal.

Buying soft plastic lures suddenly seemed to be a lot better, and safer option

You got much better results than I did! Your lures look very professional!

If u cut the bottoms off and leave about 3/4" in the mold u can shoot another color and have tails i used to shoot my own plastics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
    LOWRANCE Hook7

BE REALLY CAREFUL with breathing burnt melted plastic....... IT IS DEADLY !!! .......... it will burn your lungs and give you chemical pneumonia. I wear a mask with a canister filter if there are fumes or any burning. I also have a hooded exhaust fan above the heating pots. It is recommended that you use a little heat stabilizer and a little fresh plastic if you are remelting plastic.

That said ........ making plastics is fun

^ someone already said it above, you can do dual color if you cutoff the "tail" and excess from the pour spot, and get double-color style!

since i know you are local to me, i'll have to research getting some paddletail moulds and stop by for a DIY demo or offer to buy you the raw materials if you have the workshop already setup!
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream