Severn spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn spec

I trolled three lines with paddletails in Weems Creek this morning. The water level was quite low, and the wind was calm. During the first hour I caught 8 fat and energetic stripers, but none was longer than 18". Nevertheless it was good pullage on my medium rods.

I continued trolling during the second hour with no stripers. I did have one rod that started shaking. To my surprise, it was a 13" speckled trout. This makes three years in a row that I have caught a single spec in the Severn -- all in or near Weems (I suspect that has something to do with the fact that I often fish in those areas rather than elsewhere in the river). I made a half-hearted effort to cast for perch for 20 mins at the end of the trip. I caught two small ones. I suspect their migration to deeper water has begun.

The spec hit my largest and heaviest lure -- a 3/4-oz bucktail with a 4.5" Buzztail paddletail from 12 Fathom.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I went back and checked the dates on which I caught my Severn specs on the two previous years. All three were caught in the early fall

2015 - Sept 25
    2016 - Sept 20
    2017 - Oct 3
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Ambitious 13 inch speck to hit a lure that big!

Sorry to hear the perch were scarce but the calendar never stops moving.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

A speckled trout in the Severn! That is different. Congrats on the nice surprise.
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Global warming...10 degrees above average for the past 30 days...Southern fish move into preferred water temps...we had a big fish kill a few years ago when the severe cold got below zero during the day, but otherwise, it has been an ever increasing warm up in our region of the SE Atlantic Coast...note the tarpon Joe had on the western shore of the Bay this year...notice the influx of speckled trout and redfish into the middle bay...been a banner year for big trout and puppy drum down our way...so why not in the upper bay?
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Global warming...10 degrees above average for the past 30 days...Southern fish move into preferred water temps...
            It's about time for Chessie the manatee to return to the Bay.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
            X