OGWLTF Visits SMOG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OGWLTF Visits SMOG

Yakmac reached out and wanted to fish the slower lower and we were able to meet today. Launched at 9:30 in the middle of an incoming tide but the water was already very high. Things started slow but over the grass flats I hooked into a 16" drum.

We worked the sodbanks and grass hard but nothing of note so off to a different spot. Not much happening so I switched to Gulp. Almost immediately I got a Black Sea bass.

Keith put on Gulp and caught a couple nice perch. We went back to the first spot and I heard Keith say he caught a small speck. Couple cast later his first Maryland red fish was in the boat.

After that he caught a rock to round out his slower lower slam. I ended up with a couple of high teen rocks but overall a kind of slow day. Great to finally meet Keith and good company on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Nice going guys. Congratulations to Keith for his first MD redfish and for getting the slam.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nasty head cold kept me home today...headed to the docs tomorrow- gotta get better so I can make Saturday's tournament...glad you guys had some success-feel like doo doo-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Big Mike showed me how they do it in the Slower Lower and I must say that I am impressed. The chances of catching different species is a definite plus. Like Mike said it started slow but heated up at the end I caught 2 more small specks and 2 of the smallest flounder I've ever seen and caught the 10" perch Mike had let go earlier. I had a great time and will be back again. Thanks again Mike can't wait to meet the rest of the SMOG.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
        Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Had my own "slam" today on the St. Mary's. Launched a little before low tide and trolled up river and then back down river to the launch point. River was a bit busier than I'm used to-paced a power boat that was trolling upriver. KIMG1188.jpgHe was kind enough call me over to some rocks that he came across, which were the first fish I hooked up with. While messing around with that school, I hooked a nice perch. KIMG1195.jpgFinally as I was heading back, I optimistically kept trolling, as I was going to pass some grass banks and points that have been productive in the past. Very glad I did: redfish!!!!! KIMG1206.jpg Granted the redfish was 17", all in all a great day on the water, launched-trolled-recovered all in under two hours this evening. I was using a 1/2oz and 1oz white bucktail with chartreuse curly tails.
          Tight lines
          Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
          Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
          Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
          Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Keith,

Outstanding! Congrats on your slam. Bet that red was fun.

SMOG -- Thanks for hosting one of our OGWLF members.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That sounds like a nice day. Keith, glad the slam was worth the drive. Congrats!
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Sorry I Missed you guys, looks like 'Big Mike" was the perfect host as usual. I launched at ST Inigoes at 130pm, I got a bunch of schoolies the biggest was 17'inches. Managed 1-Spec at 15 inches.

Great weather for "Rocktober"

Yak67
                2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Hi, I am new to the board. I have been doing most of my fishing further up river in Mattawoman Creek and Mallows Bay. I just bought a house in Calvert and would like to chase some saltwater fish around. It is good to see there are a few of you who are pretty active on board.

After reading some of your posts I thought I would try St. Inigoes. Without giving out any trade secrets I have a few questions for you guys.

Kayak size - I have a Jackson Cuda, do you prefer a bit longer kayak for bigger water?

Lures - what are a few of your favorite lures? It looks like most of you troll when fishing. Favorite colors? I have always been a white and chartreuse kind of guy.

How late into the year do you continue to fish. I know a lot of species will be leaving soon.

Thanks, I hope I bump into some of you if not later this year then next year.

Comment

Welcome Mike- I fish out of a Outback- plenty of kayak for our waters- your Jackson should be just fine- St. Inigoes is a good place to fish- Smith Creek has lots of secret "honey holes" to find...I use a couple of "go to" lures...1/4 oz. Bomber 4/0 hook Sea shad jigheads with Bass Assassin white or chartruese sea shad bodies and XR10 Rapala XRap crankbaits are always rigged on my rods..Like to have a top water popper handy when we encounter breaking fish, especially right at daylight or dusk...and I usually fish year round...Mattawoman Creek is good protected waters for winter catfishing...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thank you Ron. That is kind of what I was thinking.

There are some big catfish in Mattawoman. I have never fished for them on purpose but certainly have caught a bunch. There is good winter fishing in Mattawoman up inside the No Wake Zone ... low and slow.

Comment

Working...
                      X