Sandy Point/ Bay Bridge info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandy Point/ Bay Bridge info

So I'm looking to go out tomorrow and really want to go out of Sandy Point and hit the Bay Bridge. I have never launched from SP before and I'm looking for some pointers and/or someone to tag along with. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
    2017 Hobie PA14

I've never fished there but wind forecast has kind of brisk NE winds tomorrow. I can't think of a worse wind direction to launch at SP.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Sandy Point...only way out of the place puts you at the Bridge...the bridge is on the right as you exit the launch...and gusting NE winds will make the ride "sporting" to say the least...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks guys. So if a NE wind is bad then which wind direction is good?? Also I thought you wanted the wind in your face.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

The best wind is no wind...wind equals waves and chop...anytime wind travels over open water it can generate waves- the best wind is a light wind that blows across the shortest open water...

Comment

If you fish an area that provides shelter from the wind, then the direction can matter. Sometimes for example, I will launch at Weems Creek instead of Jonas Green when there is a strong NE or SW wind because Weems has more natural protection from the winds of those directions than the big river.

I do not fish the Bay Bridge in my kayak. But I've crossed the bridge enough times to know that winds there like we've had today from any direction would be unsafe for kayaking.

In fact I canceled a planned outing today for the Free State Fly Fishers at Goodhands Creek because the forecast called for sustained winds of twenty MPH from the NE with gusts in the mid-twenties. Although areas near Goodhands offer protection, too many of the better spots would have been unsuitable for kayak fishing in today's wind. Based on how the winds are bending branches in my trees as I type this, I think I made the right call.

I use this site for wind forecasts and have found it very reliable both in predicting the speed and direction of the wind at specific points where I plan to fish:

https://www.windfinder.com/#10/38.9920/-76.4827
            Last edited by Mark; 09-30-2017, 06:28 PM.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I seem to do my best fishing live lining in about 30 feet of water with a spot on the line. If you do not want to do this.. trolling in front of the Northrop Grumman building does me well. Not trying to be tacky but I have some old bay bridge footage on my YouTube channel if you wanted to see where I am talking about.

Also, wind plays a huge factor. I wouldn’t fish the bridge in anything over 10mph that’s even cutting it. Maybe even 7-8. You get chop and also get rebounding chop from the Pylons.
              Zach Bennett
              Linthicum MD
              2014 Hobie Outback
              Instagram: YakinZak
              Youtube: YakinZak
              Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

When fishing SPSP, I like to launch from the north"ish"-facing side of the beach, rather than anywhere near the boat ramp. I also avoid the bridge if I can help it - too much traffic and too much current.

Many times when you launch from the beach, you will see a flotilla of vessels anchored up near the mouth of the Magothy. I like to stay just outside this fray, in shallower water where deeper draft boats can't get to. I suspect the noise of outboard engines, conversations, music playing, and random noise from the motor-powered-bound fishing fleet drives the fish away from these deeper depths and into the shallows. Because of a kayak's innate ability to get into skinny water and quiet nature, I end up doing quite well (much to the chagrin and within plain sight of the powerboat crowd :-)

My back-up plan, if this first plan doesn't produce sizeable fish, is to head east from the fishing fleet, find where the depth increases and the boat channel begins, then troll along this ledge, but once again avoiding noisy motor vessels.

And yes, don't fish this area on a windy day - find a nice sheltered cove instead.
                Last edited by baitball; 10-02-2017, 06:37 AM.
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I know this is an old thread, however I have a few more ???? to ask. When you guys launch from SPSP which beach area do most of you use?? The South or East?? Wind is supposed to be SW at 5-10 knots this weekend and thinking of jigging the pylons. Waves around 1 foot. I still have not launched from SPSP so any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA
                  2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I guess you could Beach launch if you really wanted to, but the boat launch are has several ramps in the marina that is a short distance from the bridge...never had to wait on an open ramp...

Comment

I fished the bridge for the first time a few weeks ago and plan to fish it again sat morning or Friday evening. I launched right from the ramp and tracked out to the bridge. I also stayed under the bridge or between the bridges when i paddled out to try to help with boat traffic. I did really good in fishing the pilings. Hopefully sat morning will produce again and hopefully I can get some live spot or WP

Comment

I thought we had to launch from the beach at SPSP. Is there a fee to get in?? Is there a fee to launch??
                        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                          I thought we had to launch from the beach at SPSP. Is there a fee to get in?? Is there a fee to launch??
                          You can launch a kayak at either the beach launch or at the regular ramps. There is an admission fee to get into the park, but no launch fee.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be launching from SPSP this Saturday. Probably around 530-6. If anyone wants to M&G let me know.
                            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

If you want to fish the bridge use the boat ramps.
                              The soft launch isn’t exactly close to the bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X