Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused angler makes odd hybrid lure

Default Confused angler makes odd hybrid lure

I fished in Spa Creek this morning -- this is the Severn Creek that makes up Annapolis Harbor. I have not launched from Truxton Park in a while but wanted to see what fish I could find near there. I quickly caught a dozen white perch near the launch using a Bignose spinner. I tried casting a Gulp on a jighead, had a few bumps, but no hookups.

I worked my way up to the headwaters of Spa Creek until the water grew too shallow to paddle. I caught no fish there. However, on my way there, I spied a lure hanging from a branch. It must have been cast by a bank fisherman and he could not retrieve it. I paddled underneath the branch and was able to get the lure loose. On close examination, this seemed like it was made by Dr. Frankenstein with parts from multiple lures. The main lure was a large brown and orange popper attached to the running line with a large snap clip. The two hooks had been removed and were replaced by small snap clips. The belly position had a beetle spin arm with chartreuse twister tail. The tail position had a small lipped crankbait. I don't know what type of fish the angler was hoping for, but he included three or four different types of lure functions in this single hybrid lure (popper, spinner, twistertail, crankbait). It must have been painful for him to lose all that tackle on one cast.

2003-08-01 00-58-04.jpg

After leaving the headwaters of the creek, I paddled downstream toward the Eastport bridge and trolled three lines. I caught two rockfish trolling in Spa Creek, including one near the bridge. After passing beneath the bridge I paddled toward Ego Alley, which was pretty quiet this morning. I saw two memorable vessels along the way. The first was a mega-yacht tied up at a marina. This boat had all the toys a built-in garage for a large motorboat on the lower level and a helicopter on the raised rear deck. It probably had several kayaks stored away somewhere too.

2003-08-01 00-00-03.jpg

Across the way, I spotted the Pride of Baltimore II tied up at the end of a pier. The photo showing the Pride and the state Capital building in the background could have been taken a hundred years ago.

2003-08-01 00-03-17.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Belonged to the guy in the mega yacht, more money than sense.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

M/Y Evviva, a Westport 164-owned by the founder of Bayliner. She was up in the St. Mary's River this past June.
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145

That was an interesting looking lure, wonder how effective it was? Nice quiet morning on Spa Creek doesn't happen too often, know you enjoyed it.
    John
    Annapolis
    Native Slayer Propel 10, Native Ultimate 12

John, thanks for the post. I was wondering what happened to my helicopter.
    ---------------------------------------
    2015 Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
    12' Perception Pescador
    10' Perception Pescador

Good day fishing.
    You caught a few and were able to restock your tackle box at the same time!

Nice post, John.

Clever replies too!

I bet if you threw that lure into breaking stripers it would work.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

The closest thing to that lure I have ever seen was a hybrid lure used by a friend of mine when he took me trolling for stripers in the Sacramento delta area in April 2004. It was long, colorful, and made up of several parts. As odd as it looked, it did catch a few schoolie stripers.

IMGP0129a.jpg IMGP0129b.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Quote Originally Posted by J.A. Veil View Post
    The closest thing to that lure I have ever seen was a hybrid lure used by a friend of mine when he took me trolling for stripers in the Sacramento delta area in April 2004. It was long, colorful, and made up of several parts. As odd as it looked, it did catch a few schoolie stripers.

IMGP0129a.jpg IMGP0129b.jpg
    I wonder precisely what hatch that matched?
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com