Confused angler makes odd hybrid lure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused angler makes odd hybrid lure

I fished in Spa Creek this morning -- this is the Severn Creek that makes up Annapolis Harbor. I have not launched from Truxton Park in a while but wanted to see what fish I could find near there. I quickly caught a dozen white perch near the launch using a Bignose spinner. I tried casting a Gulp on a jighead, had a few bumps, but no hookups.

I worked my way up to the headwaters of Spa Creek until the water grew too shallow to paddle. I caught no fish there. However, on my way there, I spied a lure hanging from a branch. It must have been cast by a bank fisherman and he could not retrieve it. I paddled underneath the branch and was able to get the lure loose. On close examination, this seemed like it was made by Dr. Frankenstein with parts from multiple lures. The main lure was a large brown and orange popper attached to the running line with a large snap clip. The two hooks had been removed and were replaced by small snap clips. The belly position had a beetle spin arm with chartreuse twister tail. The tail position had a small lipped crankbait. I don't know what type of fish the angler was hoping for, but he included three or four different types of lure functions in this single hybrid lure (popper, spinner, twistertail, crankbait). It must have been painful for him to lose all that tackle on one cast.

2003-08-01 00-58-04.jpg

After leaving the headwaters of the creek, I paddled downstream toward the Eastport bridge and trolled three lines. I caught two rockfish trolling in Spa Creek, including one near the bridge. After passing beneath the bridge I paddled toward Ego Alley, which was pretty quiet this morning. I saw two memorable vessels along the way. The first was a mega-yacht tied up at a marina. This boat had all the toys – a built-in garage for a large motorboat on the lower level and a helicopter on the raised rear deck. It probably had several kayaks stored away somewhere too.

2003-08-01 00-00-03.jpg

Across the way, I spotted the Pride of Baltimore II tied up at the end of a pier. The photo showing the Pride and the state Capital building in the background could have been taken a hundred years ago.

2003-08-01 00-03-17.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Belonged to the guy in the mega yacht, more money than sense.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

M/Y Evviva, a Westport 164-owned by the founder of Bayliner. She was up in the St. Mary's River this past June.
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

That was an interesting looking lure, wonder how effective it was? Nice quiet morning on Spa Creek doesn't happen too often, know you enjoyed it.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

John, thanks for the post. I was wondering what happened to my helicopter.

Comment

Good day fishing.
            You caught a few and were able to restock your tackle box at the same time!

Comment

Nice post, John.

Clever replies too!

I bet if you threw that lure into breaking stripers it would work.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The closest thing to that lure I have ever seen was a hybrid lure used by a friend of mine when he took me trolling for stripers in the Sacramento delta area in April 2004. It was long, colorful, and made up of several parts. As odd as it looked, it did catch a few schoolie stripers.

IMGP0129a.jpg IMGP0129b.jpg
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  The closest thing to that lure I have ever seen was a hybrid lure used by a friend of mine when he took me trolling for stripers in the Sacramento delta area in April 2004. It was long, colorful, and made up of several parts. As odd as it looked, it did catch a few schoolie stripers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22359[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]22360[/ATTACH]
                  I wonder precisely what hatch that matched?
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

il_340x270.1270682562_3n5p.jpg

This!

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]22361[/ATTACH]

This!
                      Which indeed shows that stripers can be extremely non-discriminating.

I just wonder why they are so darned hard to catch at times.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Nice report JV. The wooden bulkhead in front of the condos was home to several of last week's baby specs. Any sign of pickerel?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptCHawk View Post
                          Nice report JV. The wooden bulkhead in front of the condos was home to several of last week's baby specs. Any sign of pickerel?

I suspected that you guys were in Spa Creek and hoped to duplicate your multi-species day. I had a few nibbles along that bulkhead but no hookups. Farther back that arm in the natural shoreline area I got a couple of perch.

However, all I found were the usual perch and stripers. Pickerel remain highly elusive in the Severn. The true test will come in about a month when the perch are gone from the shallows and pickerel have those habitats to themselves. I sure hope I can find some then.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis

Comment

It must be nice to have a HELI on your YACHT! Thanks for the morning laugh!
                            Zach Bennett
                            Linthicum MD
                            2014 Hobie Outback
                            Instagram: YakinZak
                            Youtube: YakinZak
                            Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinzak View Post
                              It must be nice to have a HELI on your YACHT! Thanks for the morning laugh!
                              It's only a matter of time till someone sets up their drone launch pad on the back of their kayak to go search for breaking fish......

Comment

Working...
                              X