Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's Hot (oops, do I owe Paris Hilton a royalty check?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's Hot (oops, do I owe Paris Hilton a royalty check?)

SMOG wanted to fish this morning but we were all being obstinate and wouldn't budge on where we each wanted to fish. Like an old couple at this point of the season. So we launched at three different spots about a mile and a half away from each other with me in the middle trying to relay via radio what was happening. Ron was immediately into top water schoolies then moved to a spot he hoped would have bigger rocks. Ended up being a trout day for him. He lost a 20+" fish at the boat but did land 6 specks in the 16-18" range. Fish were on the edge of grass in 4-6' of water. Mighty good eating size.

Gary was messing around with bluefish which kept busting his gear up. He caught two specks but they were in the 8" class and he had a few schoolies as well. His spot was the least productive today.

My day started off slow but I saw some birds working several hundred yards off the bank along the crab pot line. With my fish finder not working I decided to follow natures fish finder. Had a schoolie and then cast back again and a bigger fish hit. Several good runs later I had a 23" pig of a speck in the cooler. Played around with the rocks for another 30 minutes but no more specks in the mix and nothing bigger than 17" rock. Went back to shore and started casting for redfish. After a bit I hooked an 18 1/8" redfish. Saw Ron and I pedaled over so he could get my photo and then we headed back towards our respective launches. Momma gonna be eating good tonight. Things are hot in the slower lower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Launched at daylight and was throwing a top water popper- lots of action- every cast had a hookup and if the fish got off just pop it a time or two and the second fish hits it...problem was no big fish...all 18 inch slot fish- frisky, fight good, but short...after 20 or so, decided it was time to head to the flats for maybe some bigger fish...last trip I had two nice keepers by 9 am..not today...big schools of bait, lots of small blues...hit my first area and dropped back the lures- fish were scattered and hanging in the edges of the grass beds near the sand openings between the beds- hard to fish these as you need really good polarized sunglasses to see past the glare for casting- if you miss and hit the grass bed- you foul the lure...hooked a really good fish that was taking drag like a cow nose ray...after a good fight I got a look at it and seeing the dark greenish brown color I knew it was a big speckled trout- it was really fat and a good 20(+) fish- every time I got it close it burned drag and dove under the kayak...slipped my hand under its belly to scoop it up into the cockpit when the lure popped out...dang! I hate that! Long story short- I landed 6 speckled trout- released two that were 15-16 inch fish...kept a fat 16, 18, 18 and a 19 inch speck for the table- hard to beat fresh specked trout on the dinner table.....met up with Big Mike who launched from St. George's Island about a mile or so from where I launched- he had a really nice, fat 23 inch speck and a keeper red...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-25-2017, 08:07 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Us Annapolis guys are truly envious of you SMOG guys. Great going!
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Another outstanding day on the water for you guys. (As I sit behind this desk)
        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
        Predator 13

Comment

Way to go. That's an awesome report. I hope to repeat later this week directly across on the eastern shore.

Comment

Those are some nice fish! I just got back in from a sunset cruise on the upper St. Mary's and hooked up with a bunch 12"-16" school sized rocks. Just trolling at sunset. I need to figure out some way of getting over to St. George's Island, but I hate the northbound afternoon base traffic.
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

My day was slow at ST Inigoes. Got into the chopper blues on my way to some flats and they proceeded to tangle and mangle my gear along the way. Got a 14inch and 15 inch blue, tons of bites and bite-offs but only landed the two.

Actually went exploring up river on to find the Spec nursery, two- 8 inch specs. Found the pesky schoolies for about 30 minutes and no size. Trolled my last flat and got a 15inch spec on the way in.

The best part of the day, even with distance, Big Mike and I could communicate by radio! That's cool, being out of site on the other side of an island and the radios worked!
              Yak67
              2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
              2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Radio -- Best fish finder of all.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I think you So MD OG's have more fun than the 'RestOfUs' youngins!
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I can honestly say that this has by far been my best year catching fish and it is my first full year of retirement- being able to choose tides and days during the week with minimum recreational boating has dramatically increased my personal success rate...so yeah SMOG is fun and we enjoy each other's accomplishments and share intelligence with each other of what lure, what color, how did you fish it, what trolling speed, etc.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                    X