Eddyline Review and Downs Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddyline Review and Downs Report

As I posted a few days ago, I had the chance to go out on 9/23 to Down's Park with my roommate and his new Eddyline Caribbean Angler 14. First, the fishing. We arrived at the park when the gate opened at 7 a.m. By the time we got our kayaks off the truck and set up it was maybe 730 and probably were finally in the water around 745. My room mate, Andrew, had a lot of futzing to do as it was his first time out, understandable. We launched from the beach just to the south of the fishing pier and immediately headed strait out about 1000 feet to where I knew a ledge ran up and down that stretch. I was wanting some top water action so I tied on a spook and a shallow diving jerk. Within minutes of trolling I had one on the spook, my first decent fish in my sea ghost, an 18 inch striper. I get back in the water and miss a few hits but eventually get one more on the spook this time a little guy. By now Andrew is starting to get jealous so he ties on a small paddle tail and before long he has about a 12 incher on. After that though, the fishing died off. We through everything in the arsenal, we trolled, we drifted, we bottom fished, nothing. It seamed that we got there right at the end the action. Need to go somewhere next time that opens before 7.

Now on to the Eddyline Review. The most notable difference between my sea ghost and the eddyline is the weight. My fully rigged vibe, with anchor, battery box, sonar, crate full of junk, poles, seat and paddle probably tops out around 90 lbs. Andrew has far lest stuff but his fully rigged boat is about 65 lbs. Which makes a huge difference when having to portage at a place like Down's Park. The build of the Eddyline is also different from most kayaks I've been around, instead of the usual roto-molded boat, it is thermo-molded with a harder plastic. Which is where the weight saving come in, I wonder though if because it's a harder plastic is it therefore more brittle and susceptible to cracking, just a thought. It is also painted which I wonder with the paint scratch or fade. It is a good looking boat with a two tone design, Andrew's is green on top and grey on the bottom. At 14' and 28" wide it goes fast and strait but as Andrew put it, it's like turning a WWII battle ship. Andrew is about 5'11" maybe 175lbs and he reports that the seat was comfy and he had plenty of room to move about and even managed to crawl up to his front hatch to grab a sandwich. He never attempted to stand but we had rough seas so it probably would not have ended well. In all it was a good trip and I think Andrew is very pleased with his new boat. At $1700 it's a little expensive for me certainly after all you get in a Vibe for $900. But if you are looking for a light weight kayak that won't break your back every time you load or unload it, then the Eddyline Caribbean Angler is something to look into.

Thanks for reading.
    Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"

Thank you for the follow-up report and the Eddyline review.

I'm glad you had some pullage and that Andrew had a successful shakedown cruise with his new boat.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Glad you like the new kayak, weight is why I ended up selling my moken 14. Just got tired of the large kayak. Let me tell you going from the almost 80lb moken 14 to a 62lb "old" trident 13 was worth the 4 hour drive to NJ. I also picked up a pompano 120 (old tarpon 120) at 60lbs for the same reason. I don't care for the new yaks with all the bells and whistles. As far as the turning of the kayak, there is a trick without spending 300 bucks on a rudder. You will have to find that sweet spot where your kayak will catch a edge and paddle just on that side. It's not for everyone but I could turn my 14' kayaks around no problem doing this. Look up edging turns on YouTube, its more of a sea kayak thing but I use it all the time when fishing around structure. Tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Desert Camo- Moken 14
      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I'll let Andrew know about the rudder. I believe he is thinking about one already though. The included rudder was one of the selling points for my Vibe Sea Ghost, I don't feel I need it all the time but it sure comes in handy. I'm trying to get Andrew to join the forum but he's doesn't really do electronic devices. We'll see. Thanks for the input everyone, I look forward to reading all your stories and hopefully adding a few of my own.
        Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"

Comment

Working...
        X