Lower Potomac (Southern MD) Creek Hopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Potomac (Southern MD) Creek Hopping

Hit the mouths of the creeks (Smith Creek, Rowley Bay, Harry James Creek and Potter Creek) starting at St. Inigoes Landing running south down the Potomac 3.5 miles looking for reds, flounder, trout, rockfish. Not many reds or size. (10 small ones as in pics.), a dozen flounder - (my mouse pad is bigger). Once again there were schools of breaking, motoring, rockfish all over the place 2 miles south of St. Inigoes - half to a mile off. One keeper out of a zillion. (ratio seems typical at least for now) For what it's worth each creek had a couple reds. Potters and Harry James Creek had the flounder. Footnote: Wasn't happy with hooking myself only once today. Went for the encore. Beach pics there to show the mouths of some of these creeks. (i.e. Harry and Potter). Outgoing tide runs over a sandbar before abrupt drop-off

09245.JPG241.JPG09243.JPG09244.JPG09247.JPG
    Last edited by Fishtank; 09-25-2017, 04:54 PM.
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

Potters Creek is a loooonnnngggg way from the launch. You're a beast to go there and back. Great time to be fishing the lower Potomac
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice report. What are the size ranges you're seeing on the reds?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      ========================
      Hobie Pro Angler 14
      Hobie Outback
      Hobie Mirage i11s
      Check out all my vids at www.yakvids.com
      Follow on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...eAiuK2n9i5RFNg
      Follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yakvids/

Comment

Originally posted by dinscore View Post
        Nice report. What are the size ranges you're seeing on the reds?

A 21", the rest 16" 19". Had a decent sized pair in the area a couple weeks ago. Not this go around.
        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
        Predator 13

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
          A 21", the rest 16" 19". Had a decent sized pair in the area a couple weeks ago. Not this go around.
          Yep, mid Sept I had my best trip in that area with 24 to 26" reds (and they were in packs, up shallow, and HUNGRY). Previous trips were more in the low 20's with a number of rat reds sprinkled in. How does the reds activity of this year compare to previous years for that neck of the woods?

This is my first year fishing salt so far south from my Baltimore area home and I couldn't be happier to find quality reds and trout in such reasonable driving distance. Next year a goal is to target bass and snakehead in the morning around Mattawoman, then spend the afternoon towards the Potomac mouth. The goal would be to check off as many different fresh and salt species in a day (all catch and release).

========================
          Hobie Pro Angler 14
          Hobie Outback
          Hobie Mirage i11s
          Check out all my vids at www.yakvids.com
          Follow on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...eAiuK2n9i5RFNg
          Follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yakvids/

Comment

This has been an outstanding year for quantity and quality of reds and specks. We've paid for it with smaller stripers
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Awesome day!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Great job!I can't decide what I like more. The Doormat or redfish!
                Zach Bennett
                Linthicum MD
                2014 Hobie Outback
                Instagram: YakinZak
                Youtube: YakinZak
                Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by dinscore View Post
                  Yep, mid Sept I had my best trip in that area with 24 to 26" reds (and they were in packs, up shallow, and HUNGRY). Previous trips were more in the low 20's with a number of rat reds sprinkled in. How does the reds activity of this year compare to previous years for that neck of the woods?

This is my first year fishing salt so far south from my Baltimore area home and I couldn't be happier to find quality reds and trout in such reasonable driving distance. Next year a goal is to target bass and snakehead in the morning around Mattawoman, then spend the afternoon towards the Potomac mouth. The goal would be to check off as many different fresh and salt species in a day (all catch and release).

From what I saw in that area. Last year there were few reds around of any size. (At least for me) Years prior there were alot more than this year, but with a few exceptions the reds were generally smaller then. The bigger reds seem more consistent this year than in the past.
                  Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                  Predator 13

Comment

Working...
                  X