Another Patapsco surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Patapsco surprise

Took another fishcation day for some fishing yesterday. Launched before dawn, but only caught dinks and schoolies to 16". Gave up trying to force a topwater bite and trolling cranks and paddle tails for stripers around 9am and went to beating the rip-rap and pier pylons for perch with a gulp minnow on my ultra light. Picked up a few nice perch and soon hooked a nice fish that screamed the drag on my little ultra light reel. I was worried I was going to get spooled so I chased the fish down and landed a nice fat 23" striper.

Ten minutes later at the same spot, I felt a bite that seemed familiar, but didn't feel like a perch or striper. I hooked up the little fish and a 10" Speck surfaced! I worked a few other spots and managed a few catfish, more nice perch and another 23" Striper. A few times, I had nice striper chasing perch that were on the line. I tried live lining perch but no takers on that. Since I ended up catching a couple of nice striper on the 2" gulp minnnows, I'm thinking maybe they just were chasing them saying, "hey I want that minnow in your mouth," instead of trying to eat them?

Seems like we're in transition from summer to fall pattern as some fish are being caught in the creek mouths, some are being caught a little deeper and some are shallow. The only way to find em is to get out there and search, but if you stick it out, you can have a great day!

21950076_10103838621583555_3973661625014982615_o.jpg
    21753442_10103838086036795_3956659302274959764_o.jpg
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Congrats on the speck. That indeed is unusual for Ft .Smallwood.

And large stripers swimming with the perch are a blast. They test your tackle and your skill to get them to the kayak.

Good advice on your part to get out and try everywhere. 'Tis the season for sure...
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I was actually near ft armistead not ft smallwood.

I guess my advice is more not to go out and troll all day and end up with only dinks, try different things at different depths.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
      X