X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
    I found this informative video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXShRkfOX5U

Is the idea to tie the leader shorter than the depth of water you are fishing so the lure is suspended? Also, is this a cast and wait for the strike, or cast and retrieve steadily or jerk motion?
    Varies. Cast, let it set up, pop it once, twice etc., reel in slack, repeat the process until you have the popper back to the boat and then do it again. Many times if fish are in the area they will hit as soon as the lure flutters down. I like to pop it hard. This draws the jig toward the surface and allows it flutter down more. There are no set rules as to how many pops you give it or how long you let it set. I vary it. All I can say is that it is a fun way to catch fish. It can tend to wear you out though. So it is nice to use a lite weight read and reel. It’s a combination bobber-jig fishing. When red fishing in shallow water in Fl. We sometimes used live shrimp on the jig head. Cast it up current on a point and allow the cork to float with the current around the point. Remember to clean any snagged grass off the jig. The smallest amount will keep fish from hitting.

There are areas around Tangier Sound that you can set in the middle of gras beds and fan cast around the boat. Especially when the grass beds have openings between them.

Comment

I have used the cajun clacker popping cork a lot on the Gulf Coast but mostly with live shrimp and live big mud minnows/baby croakers- it is a puppy drum magnet...5-9 pound puppy drum/4-6 pound big gator trout on light spinning tackle in shallow bays over oyster beds- in truth most specks there are the 16 inch class fish...but here in Maryland when I target specks- I fish them very differently- I use lures exclusively- no live or natural bait...and I use just a couple of variations...and I have had good success this year with several dozen keeper specks and 4 over 20 inches- 2 citations...1/4 and 1/8 oz Bomber Sea Shad jigheads with 4/0 and 3/0 black nickel hooks with Sea Assassin sea shad plastic bodies...Trolling mostly but also casting...I like the bigger stronger hooks on my jigheads- don't lose as many fish...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
        I have used the cajun clacker popping cork a lot on the Gulf Coast but mostly with live shrimp and live big mud minnows/baby croakers- it is a puppy drum magnet...5-9 pound puppy drum/4-6 pound big gator trout on light spinning tackle in shallow bays over oyster beds- in truth most specks there are the 16 inch class fish...but here in Maryland when I target specks- I fish them very differently- I use lures exclusively- no live or natural bait...and I use just a couple of variations...and I have had good success this year with several dozen keeper specks and 4 over 20 inches- 2 citations...1/4 and 1/8 oz Bomber Sea Shad jigheads with 4/0 and 3/0 black nickel hooks with Sea Assassin sea shad plastic bodies...Trolling mostly but also casting...I like the bigger stronger hooks on my jigheads- don't lose as many fish...
        I fished the Gulf Coast out of the Waccassasa River which is ten miles below Cedar Key. We fished 5 miles out in the Gulf in 6 ft. Of water. We caught specs to 24”,topsail cats, Spanish macs, sharks and a few other species. We caught the reds inside in the shallow water.
        We always fished with a guide. The last two trips we fished inside on an airboat. Still using the poppers. Trout are inside these days.

Comment

The curious thing to me about fishing with a popping cork and please note that I have never done so, is if the cork is an attractant, why don't the fish hit it like a normal popper. And if they do, why not put a hook on it and fish it that way either alone or with a dropper fly.

The largest Chesapeake speck I caught this year, around 21 inches, hit a regular popper with no dropper.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X