Down's Park test ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down's Park test ride

I'll be heading out in the early hours tomorrow with my room mate to test out his brand new Eddyline Caribbean Angler 14. We will be heading down to the Cape Lookout of North Carolina in October for a week or surf fishing and kayaking around the salt flats and he wants to test it in similar conditions. A beach launch with big open water. So I thought of some local places and we have decided to launch from Down's Park beach. It'l be my first time out in big water as well with my Vibe Sea Ghost 130. I'm not sure how the fishing is there, I've been to the Downs pier in the past and had decent luck but it is kinda shallow. I've notices on some charts that there is a nice ledge about 1000 feet east of the beach, I'd like to try trolling that. I'm curious if anyone else has fished that stretch and had any luck. At any rate I'll report back tomorrow on how the fishing went as well as a full review of the Eddyline.
    Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"

I live only a few miles from the park.

You've chosen the right place to simulate big water conditions. The Chesapeake is about 9 miles wide from that beach and the wind can create big waves. As a result, I've launched from the beach there only a few times. It can be a rough entry into the water and there are rocks near the launch area. Be careful to avoid grounding your boats on them which is what I did on my very first trip there.

I know the Eddyline is a light thermoformed boat. (I look forward to your report as I am considering a lightweight SOT.) Still, you will likely need a cart to get your kayaks and gear to the launch. Parking is restricted to asphalt lots which are a good walk from the beach. The paths to the beach are paved.

As to fishing, I've caught stripers trolling just a few hundred yards from the beach...CNRs too but they'll be gone by now. Perch may still be hanging on the riprap that runs along much of the park's waterfront.

Good luck,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark, thanks for the heads up about those rocks, we'll be sure to look out for them. I just ordered your book off Amazon too, I look forward to reading it. I'm new to the sport and am looking for any knowledge I can get my hands on. Thanks again.
      Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"

Comment

Downs will put you into big open water just as you describe looking for, I fished the pier regularly for the past 5 years. Decent keeper stripers have been caught from the pier at park opening, as well as dusk / closing.

I've never put-in at Downs, Mark is right, there is a decent walk to from parking area to the beach, however it's paved unlike most, which is perfect if you have wheels/cart.

Looking forward to your fishing report.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
        X