Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Port Farm.. today.. went there.. because it's been a while... and my "venting"..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Port Farm.. today.. went there.. because it's been a while... and my "venting"..

It was the Spring since I was last here...
    Been here since it first opened up... all the crazy stuff with the locals...

Got there before sunrise... and to my surprise... the water seemed dead.
    So many times I have been here and the water is teeming with life.

Super high tide... tons and tons of junk on the water...
    Maybe with the super high tide it had dislodged stuff and now it was on the water.

Made a number of passes but no love... still lack of life in the water.
    There were many indications of bait in the water.

Went to another creek and got two rockfish... cool... life was there and less junk in the water.
    Made some other passes... in another area.. looked like baitfish were there....

Went back to Church Creek to re-investigate... if perhaps it was slack high tide, and now be better.
    Still the same... did a quick recon of perch fishing... got some... no biggies...

Maybe the shortened daylight hours have moved a majority of the Perch out..
    water temps I haven't researched... but I sure do remember more activity at the launch
    over the years. Maybe... same "weird" scenario as last week when I got the big one.
    But there did seem baitfish on the sonar... the moon.. karma.. who knows...

Weather spectacular... no boats racing around early... just one crabber on the water.

I moved out... and worked the at 20foot channel, towards the mouth of South River, and where I was
    seeing baitfish...

Checked the oyster grounds... but it seems deeper water was the go to.

Probably caught 10 or so fish... I loose count when I wrestle with untangling lines to move on.
    Biggest 19.5 inches... although I had one really nice one but lost it at the boat as it shook the hook off.
    Good for him/her... darn good fight.

Sooo.... while unencumbered with boat traffic in the channel in the morning...
    One large boat that I recognize from Church Creek... I had talked briefly in the Spring prerchin' around their docks...
    they were so gracious... keeping their distance... and slowed down not to make a wake...
    Although I doubt they really recognized me... just nice boaters.
    They out to the mouth of the South River.. came back and the same cool attitude.
    This time I gave them the thumbs up and indicated no worries all good keep your speed.
    I can handle the wake.
    They came back a third time... no worries... don't know it they forgot their wallet... sunglasses.....
    Or maybe giving somebody driving the boat an experience or lessons.
    All good. What does piss me off if when a large boat gets close to you.. when they have other options.

Well you guys/gals know rush hour on the highways...
    And as the famous surf legend Don Redondo once said...
    "Well Cornflake... if yu didn't want to be on the South River during rush hour..
    you should have stayed in bed."

But that was where the fish were...
    oh well...
    On que.. at 11:30am da boys be commin' in from fishing... and the river gets busy.

And all be good... happy.. safe distance... "Wake don't bother me.."

But then I have what I call the "Bloody Mary" boaters... going out at Noon...
    Well this one... BIG boat is coming out... I am on the southwest of the channel...
    And I see them all good... but, well they go and do it... start heading towards me.

I know this channel very well... and if you've got a million dollar boat...
    You would too... while I don't know much about these big boats... and how dumb
    their Captains are... but I think they plot, or have a auto course system.

They had plenty of water so not to pass 100 yards away.. and worse course correct
    to get closer to me. Speed limit is 35mph there... I am sure they were doing it but
    the boat was ass in (stern) like a pig... not planing
    The girls in their bikinis had trouble scurrying on the deck to find their roost on bow.

Obviously I am venting here... lots of nice boaters on the water today.
    And well that's the South River...
    and this "Cornflake" wasn't about to spend the morning in bed.

Sorry that Church Creek was covered in leaves and debris. I experienced the same thing in Weems this morning. There were considerably more leaves, reed stems, and twigs on the surface this morning than just two days ago. In some sections, I had to wind in my lines every five minutes to check for debris on the hooks. Despite those hassles, I managed 10 stripers in 1.5 hours -- nothing big (most were 15" - 19") but it was still fun with medium and medium light rods.

Fall is on the way, meaning that we will need to deal more and more with leaves as we troll.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
    X