Victoria's Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria's Lock

Anybody fish out of Victoria's Lock- Potomac Maryland. It looks very nice. Looks like some small rapids below which can be avoided.

Do you mean Violette's lock? If you meant Violettes it's got about a mile of Class 0-1 rapids with lots of holes and structure to fish. When you get to the bottom of the rapids(it's fairly obvious) you can take out on the Maryland shore and use the canal to get back to your car (assuming the canal is watered). I actually prefer putting in at Pennyfield and either paddling up the canal and putting in at the bottom of the rapids and fishing the deeper water or alternatively you can use the creek to get to the river and paddle up that way fishing along the way. The river above Violette's is more like a lake and I personally haven't done well in that stretch.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

When, why, how is the water in the canal controlled? do they empty the canal for some reason?
      My son and I were at Anglers Inn parking and the canal was bone dry (about 2 weeks ago)
      I have heard of people "fishing" the canal?

Slack
      Captian of the plastic Navy
      1 - Mad River Canoes
      1- Tarpon 120
      1- Redfish 10
      1- Coosa HD
      2- Cuda 12
      1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

I am sure the water is controlled according to some plan, but it feels random at times. When it is watered it is a very nice little fishery. The area north of Anglers Inn is called Widewater and it has some very nice bass in it when the water is up.

I had grand plans to drag my yak in there this past spring, but never did it. Without knowing the water level in advance it would be a an annoyingly long drive to get there and not be able to launch.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Is this the area considered Seneca Breakers/ rapids?- I see an old report of some very good fishing there. PS- is Widewater the nice looking rather wide /lake-like area next to the walking path when you are walking back to the parking area when you do the BillyGoat trail?- that looks fishy- lots of sunnies. Thanks so much for the info- very helpful.

Comment

Yes, it is also known as the Seneca Breaks. Wide water is the spot you described.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
            X