Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still no Severn pickerel but...

Default Still no Severn pickerel but...

John Rench and I visited the Severn at mid-morning today. The tide was high and falling.

John set out for stripers and I was determined to find that rare catch -- the Severn pickerel that has eluded me for 11 consecutive months now.

I used two proven pickerel catchers:

P1030067.jpg P1030071.jpg

1/8 oz. jig spinners, recently poured, painted and assembled.

Then I targeted textbook pickerel areas like these:

P1030068.jpg P1030069.jpg P1030070.jpg

Quiet, shaded water with no ripples on the surface and each had downed wood and/or structure nearby -- the perfect pickerel homestead.

But no pickerels were home. Instead 7 white perch intercepted my lures along with a 14 inch striper. Nothing remarkable.

Then I got a hard hit on the jig spinner with the paddletail. I thought I had found my elusive goal. It felt heavy like a sizeable pickerel but it failed to break the surface and go airborne like pickerels often do. This fish dug for deep water and it pulled my kayak through the water too. When I finally got a glimpse of it I saw why:

P1030065.jpg

It was a chunky channel catfish, my first Severn cat, in fact.

But there's more. About an hour later in a completely different albeit similar spot, since I was still searching for a pickerel, I caught another catfish. This one was bigger than the first one:

P1030072.jpg

The light jig went deep into the fish's bony jaw. It took me a while to extract it but the fish swam away no worse for the wear. However, there will be no more fish caught on this jig:

P1030074.jpg

It's headed back to the melting pot.

And I'll be headed back to the Severn as soon as I can still searching for a pickerel. Eventually, I will find one.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Nice job on the surprise catch. For some reason, we are seeing fish showing up in unexpected spots in this late summer/early fall period.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Very nice catches despite not finding any Pickerel something is definitely off. It will make for a long winter if no Pickerel emerge.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

I love surprises... glad you got some today :-)

This is a poor picture, but this was my pickerel from Weems last Friday. I'm not sure why he bled so much. Single hook on a little mepps spinner. He was sluggish but he did swim away, I hope he recovered. There is, or at least was, one there.

Nice catfish, ny wife would have kicked me out if I let them go. Good luck in your quest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---------------------------------------
    2015 Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
    12' Perception Pescador
    10' Perception Pescador

Quote Originally Posted by azmdted View Post
    He was sluggish but he did swim away, I hope he recovered. There is, or at least was, one there.
    Yes, I hope your pickerel survived. I haven't seen a pickerel in any Severn tributary since last November. That means I also caught none in the Severn last winter and spring despite numerous attempts. Their scarcity is not unusual in the summer but usually I catch a few during the warmer months when targeting white perch. They occupy the same areas of the river. That did not happen while hooking hundreds of white perch this year. Although it was hot today, I was hoping our recent cool spell might have energized the picks.

But the channel cats did indeed surprise me. How odd to catch two when I had never caught them in the Severn before.

The only thing predictable about fishing is its unpredictability.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

As Mark mentioned, I was after Stripers in Weems this morning. I was using a 3/8 white buck tail with a 3" white paddletail and a 3/8 red jig with a 3" chartreuse paddletail. I paddled both ends of Weems, the water level was high so I went all the way to the back. Ended up with 2 18", both on the Bucktail. Later I changed the jig for a 4" Rapalla. I got another 2 18" below the bridges. Also landed abt a dozen small white perch. Nice morning, but around noon it started getting hot, so we decided to head back to the launch.
    John
    Annapolis
    Native Slayer Propel 10, Native Ultimate 12

Speaking of surprises, Kiko (Ernie) and I fished some Severn creeks on Monday seeking jumbo perch. Caught some nice ones including one @ 11.75. The surprises were seven 8" specs several little stripers, a small croaker two channel cats and a 10" flounder.
    On the way back to the launch we tried a normally good pickerel spot for species number 7 but it was a no go. This was a boat trip, but still interesting

Catfish on a lure??!! I have heard that it can occur, but you are the first person that I've know that has actually done it. Very nice!

BTW: I launched my lazy bones today at around 5:30-ish. I was so excited about fishing, that I barely slept last night. I could feel in my in my bones that 'today'... was the day I was going to catch something big..........

Well, I fished till 10:00 and got skunked. Not keepers, no small-ies, no bites... Nothing....... But, had a good time I meet EMSER (Bruce) and his friend and learned some good techniques from him.

But, next time I go out........ I'll get into the record books!!!

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

I caught this catfish on a fire tiger lure in the Potomac at Hains Point last year I was totally shocked that a catfish went after it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T