Church Creek, South River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Creek, South River

Thinking about taking my first kayak fishing trip to the area this Saturday morning, early. I have access to Church Creek from my in-laws community. Anyone from the forum going to be in the area? Any idea how far I will need to venture out into the South River to find some fish of the striped variety? My goal is to learn the geography of the area, and catch some white perch. If I get into anything bigger, all the better.

Thanks,

Steve
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
    Thinking about taking my first kayak fishing trip to the area this Saturday morning, early. I have access to Church Creek from my in-laws community. Anyone from the forum going to be in the area? Any idea how far I will need to venture out into the South River to find some fish of the striped variety? My goal is to learn the geography of the area, and catch some white perch. If I get into anything bigger, all the better.

Thanks,

Steve
    Steve,

Church Creek is scenic and a very nice place to fish.

My friends and I have caught stripers in the creek near its mouth where it meets the South River. You can go to the river but you may not need to. See here:

P1020174.jpg P1020173.jpg

The creek itself has good structure and quiet coves which hold white perch:

P1020168.jpg P1020170.jpg P1020171.jpg

Good luck,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post

Thanks,

Steve

Beverly triton is the typical kayak launch that puts us kayak fisherman into the south river (if you travel north of the launch). Last time I launched from BT in August, I had decent success, though of all of us there at that particular Meet and Greet (maybe 12 of us), I think I was the only one who caught some keeper rockfish. I think we each caught about 5-10 rockfish trolling, and 1 of those turned out to be a keeper for me. I did mark a ton of fish by the channel marker on the southern side of the mouth of the south river, and caught another keeper rockfish while bottom fishing there. I don't know where Church Creek is, but I would stop by that channel marker and drift with the current all around it, seeing where your FF shows the fish, and jig the bottom with a bucktail and maybe some gulp or nightcrawlers, or even real or fake bloodworms as bait. Thomas Point has apparently been producing some good rockfish as well.

Comment

The Homeport Farm launch goes into Church Creek, which is a wooded tidal creek with lots of shoreline. When I launch there, I go a hundred yards downstream from the launch and set out several lines for trolling paddletails. I generally follow the shoreline staying deep enough so the lures do not hit bottom. If I see bait splashing I try to drag lures through that area. I work my way out to the mouth then head out a few hundred yards into the river. I move downstream to the next point then back to the mouth of Church Creek. I try different depths and distances from shore to see if I can determine where the fish are. I often catch fish well inside the creek and also catch some just outside the creek in the river. When I fish there, I use my paddle kayak which has no electronics.

If you get tired of trolling, cast a small lure to the shorelines for perch (at least for the next few weeks).

Yakscientist mentioned Beverly Triton. That launch is quite different. It is just outside the mouth of the South River and puts you directly into big water. Church Creek offers a much more sheltered environment. Both hold fish -- but not always or at every spot. You still need to go searching to find them.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Church Creek aka Homeport Farm Park has been and is one of my favorite places.
          I like "hole in the wall" places.... that are "hide-aways".... it's not a boat ramp, pier, or bulkhead.
          You park your car in a nice area.... load up... and venture down a tree covered path...
          and launch on a tiny sand or muddy beach depending on the tide.
          It's quiet and serene... well except for maybe a lawn mower or some guys hammering
          on a house during contsruction.
          But the South River does and can get quite busy in the channel, especially on weekends
          and the Summer..... which is why I avoid it in the Summer, and beautiful weekends.
          Just a heads up... if you wander to the middle of the River in the channel.

It it is windy on the South River you can explore the different other protected creeks in the area.

John and Mark explained it pretty well (Homeport Farm Park).
          There is a bit of hill at Homeport Farm Park trail to the launch.
          So a cart or a buddy is a good suggestion to get the kayak to the water.

If you don't have direct access to the water Homeport Farm Park would be your option.
          If your friends are on one of the house on Church Creek... well... them be some pretty steep
          hills getting down to the water and Homeport Farm Park might be an easer option if you
          have a big kayak and lots of gear.

ALSO... I haven't been to Homeport Farm Park since the Spring but I believe it is still a
          gated access... you will have to get the code for the lock at the gate.

If it is the same lock since the Spring it's funky and you have to push in and out to release it.
          The gate was built for WWII Panzer Tanks but swings freely.
          The gate is right off the main access on the circle... you can't miss it.
          Here's the link to the Park and to get the gate access lock combination.
          http://www.aacounty.org/locations-an...port-farm-park

Also... not sure if you are aware of a cool website that you can explore the
          topography of places you would like to visit... best on a computer.
          https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...y=y%7DvlFx~crM
          There is a little round button, bottom left... click that, and Click Sonar Chart.
          Best when zoomed in.

Comment

Also... don't know your experience level Perching...
            Bloodworms great... expensive... Nightcrawlers almost as good on a hook and bobber or fish finder rig.
            Fishbites bloodworms probably good too... just haven't tried

But Mark and John, and I like spinners.... and one thing I learned wayback from these guys
            is crank in very slow. They have their favorite rigs and spinners.
            I carry two ultra light rigs for Perchin'... so I can switch off quickly when hunting them down.

I used to be able to get these things called mini salt tubes at Dicks Sporting... but since have
            had to get them at Arkie... I use the two inch.... and put them on a small jig head... often with a small
            split shot on the line so I get more distance on the cast.
            Red and White tail.
            White and Chartreuse tail.
            2inch $2 /15pack...
            http://www.arkiejigs.com/Arkie-Salt-...Tubes-p/tu.htm

And what I use is a Beattle Spinners... Dick's still has them but you gotta look hard...
            probably discontinued... maybe BassPro...
            But at Arkie they have a variety of the same...
            They are "clip on spinners" to a jig head.
            $1.49 / 2 pack variety of sizes...
            http://www.arkiejigs.com/category-s/2576.htm

Obviously this is short notice to get gear, and you have you own techniques.
            I've used these rigs, and went over, the same area other fellows had just tried,
            and pulled them in left and right.

If it's shallow, or weedy... I toss out and as soon as it hits the water grab the line
            and or flip the spinning reel bail... so the rig doesn't snag the bottom or tree limbs etc...
            AND crank as slow as I can... just not to hit the bottom.
            I never try to set the hook on the first tug, or second... they will set themselves...
            or at least let you know they are on the line.
            You might just be bumping the bottom or the Perch will be just tapping the rig...
            but they will follow if you don't scare them off.

Thanks to John and Mark for their wisdom... ya'll put many tasty Perch in my belley.
            I've met many a Crabber and Oystermen over the years... and they have seen me Perchin'...
            And one thing they have always agreed upon...
            "Ain't none bettah then a Perch !"

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
              Thanks to John and Mark for their wisdom... ya'll put many tasty Perch in my belley.
              You're very welcome. Wish I could offer wise counsel in important things like the meaning of life. But I can catch perch and I'm glad to share what I know about that. You provided excellent advice on that topic yourself.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                Wish I could offer wise counsel in important things like the meaning of life. But I can catch perch and I'm glad to share what I know about that.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after- Henry David Thorueau

Mark-it's sounds like you have got it figured out!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Wish I could offer wise counsel in important things like the meaning of life. But I can catch perch...
                  Fishing is not the meaning of life?
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after- Henry David Thorueau

Mark-it's sounds like you have got it figured out!
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                    X