Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aging baby boomers

Quote Originally Posted by azmdted View Post
    I wish you the best and good luck with your surgery. I'm a few years behind you, but not much. I've been following the various motor threads as I'm eyeing ways to continue this hobby as long as possible. Propulsion and ease of loading/unloading I believe are the keys to continued success. Hopefully you can find a way to keep keep going as long as you wish. I'm not sure how many more years I can manhandle my hobie outback myself. Good luck.
    I will be 72 on my birthday...13 major surgeries- 4 knee surgeries (2 on each knee) no ACL in my rt knee, miniscus damages to left knee...no large intestines- completely removed...skin cancer surgery last year on my forehead...and I plan on fishing as long as I can out of the Lady Luck...and I don't have any trouble at all loading and unloading my Outback- but I have a pickup truck and made a cradle for the Outback to slide in and out of so I only lift a portion of the weight...I roll the kayak on its scupper cart up to the cradle, place the bow beteeen the two four by four carpet covered arms of the cradle and then walk to the rear of the kayak and lift the stern handle sliding the kayak forward on the arms up into the bed of the pickup, firmly resting on the two arms of the cradle...then strap it down and off I go headed to the house- five minute at the max to load or unload..no fuss; no strain...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    I will be 72 on my birthday...13 major surgeries- 4 knee surgeries (2 on each knee) no ACL in my rt knee, miniscus damages to left knee...no large intestines- completely removed...skin cancer surgery last year on my forehead...and I plan on fishing as long as I can out of the Lady Luck...and I don't have any trouble at all loading and unloading my Outback- but I have a pickup truck and made a cradle for the Outback to slide in and out of so I only lift a portion of the weight...I roll the kayak on its scupper cart up to the cradle, place the bow beteeen the two four by four carpet covered arms of the cradle and then walk to the rear of the kayak and lift the stern handle sliding the kayak forward on the arms up into the bed of the pickup, firmly resting on the two arms of the cradle...then strap it down and off I go headed to the house- five minute at the max to load or unload..no fuss; no strain...
    I hope you can continue to enjoy this and all your other activities for as long as you wish to. Would you mind adding a photo of your hobie rack? I'm envisioning two carpet covered 2x4s parallel to each other, perhaps with a slight tilt for the hull curve that are above a base built of another pair of 2x4s with a couple cross members. If there's no curve then perhaps just a couple cross members underneath the two cradle arms. Anything special for the end to make sliding in and out easier? another lower cross bar or something? Anyway, thanks for the information and best of health to you.
    ---------------------------------------
    2015 Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
    12' Perception Pescador
    10' Perception Pescador

I used two 4X4 Landscaping timbers 8' long and two 5/4 round deck boards that I cut recesses in the landscaping timbers as flush to the surface of the timbers cross mounts for the 5/4 round deck boards that align the timbers to the exact right width of the center sponson of the Outbacks so it sits with the Lowrance ready transducer mount off the floor (about 1 1/2 inches of clearance)...also have the deck boards spaced so the cradle sits flat in the bed of the truck and the deck boards are on each side of the wheel well so the cradle cannot move at all- locked in place- I used plasticote deck screws to secure the boards to the timbers... I also beveled the front face of the landscaping timbers on a 45 degree angle then cover the timbers with indoor outdoor carpet so it would not scratch the hull...the bevel gives the bow an incline to lift the hull over the tailgate and eases it into the cradle...I don't use Photobucket so I don't post pictures- I post my fishing pictures on my FB page- but as my friends will tell you I am very political and not at all shy about my opinions, so you may not like my progressive politics...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-22-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Thanks, great description, makes complete sense. I need to put one together like that as well. I appreciate the good description. Warm weather and light winds up around Annapolis this weekend. Tight lines to all.
    ---------------------------------------
    2015 Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
    12' Perception Pescador
    10' Perception Pescador

Quote Originally Posted by bignose View Post
    I

Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.
    Bummer.... I am starting to deal with same kind of stuff. It is kind of depressing, to see yourself slowly fade.... One thing that helps me is to use the gym. I really enjoy having a consistent work-out that I have been doing for years:

-- 30 minute Elliptical machine (Now the recumbent bike, as my hip hurts so much).
    -- 20 minute stretching.
    -- 20 minutes lifting weights (not pushing yourself, past 60, your muscle mass increases fairly fast, but ligaments don't. (e.g. easy to get hurt).

I know I look funny, limping into the gym with a gym on a cane, but I get some positive reactions from the younger guys... Like: "Keep it up old guy".....

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Bignose,
    I have an aluminum canoe/kayak cart sold by sailboatstogo.com that was overkill for my kayak. I can loan it to you until your surgery as I'm using a Hobie scupper cart for my Outback now.. Let me know how I can get this to you. It's a great tool to transport your canoe to & from your car but it wont help you lift the canoe.

Thanks for the kind offer.
    I have a kayak cart.
    It's the lift from the water, while turning the canoe over that's the issue. I can do it, but it hurts!
    Once I get the canoe yoke across my shoulders I'm fine.
    I'm just gonna have to stick to my ultra light pack canoe for a while.

I have been working with the trainer at the High School I coach at, using rubber bands. Even some of these exercises produces some rather interesting crunching and popping sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    I will be 72 on my birthday...13 major surgeries- 4 knee surgeries (2 on each knee) no ACL in my rt knee, miniscus damages to left knee...no large intestines- completely removed...skin cancer surgery last year on my forehead...and I plan on fishing as long as I can out of the Lady Luck....

Yeee Haaaa!!!! When I grow up, I want to be just like you!!!! Well, I'm 61, so don't have much time left to make it to 72...... Any ways, you are my hero!!! You take a licking and keep on ticking... Keep it up Ron, you make us young-ins not whine and complain about our hip pain.......

Best Regards,
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by bignose View Post

I have been working with the trainer at the High School I coach at, using rubber bands. Even some of these exercises produces some rather interesting crunching and popping sounds!
    Two points:

1.) Good job!! Is the traininer helping??
    2.) You might want to get a doctor and Physical Therapist involved too. I found that sometimes trainers are too much into the "work through the pain big guy", then they end up causing more damage.

Following up Ron's post, I get down sometimes when I extrapolate life out. Like, I start to wonder how many more years I have to drag my kayak out. I think it's good for us to instead focus enjoying the current fishing trip that we have.

Best Regards,
    Stan

The great thing about kayak fishing is that it is so varied.

We see evidence of that every day on this forum. We have members in pursuit of big fish who go offshore or bob among the pilings of the Bay Bridge in heavy gear-laden kayaks equipped with more electronics than the US Navy had at its disposal in the recent past. We have others who paddle quiet waters in minimally equipped lightweight boats for panfish and barely legal stripers.

I came to the hobby relatively late in life. I inched toward the former approach above but now am moving on the scale toward the latter.

Each point on the kayak spectrum brings enjoyment to those who pursue them. Each is a stop in the evolution of a kayak angler. And each participant can contribute something interesting for readers of this forum because we all can or will eventually relate in some manner to the experiences described here.

The important thing is to stay on the water in our plastic boats for as long as we physically can. And course, to continue sharing our exploits in those boats here.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com