Snakeheads Do Exist in Delaware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakeheads Do Exist in Delaware

We have went to places to fish a few times to catch a snakehead specifically because the body of water was supposed to contain them. We've probably made 5-6 attempts in the past 3 years and have come up with a big goose egg each time. We caught fish but not a snakehead. I was beginning to believe these fish were just a myth in Delaware.

We finally got two this past Saturday evening. One was small about 18" and he self released as he jumped out of the net while we were trying to grab him for a picture. The second was substantially larger and was probably 6+ pounds. We didn't have a tape measure or scale with us as we were in our minimalist kayaks. I don't know if we could have weighed him anyway. These fish are as slimy as an eel and we had a hell of a time just grabbing him for a photo. I now see the need to always have a net with you. You can't lip these suckers and they get too big to flip in the boat with your rod.

Last edited by willf650; 09-18-2017, 07:27 PM.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Outstanding! Once you catch one, you will be addicted. Also, getting the snakehead to your kayak is only half the fun!!!! haha

Comment

Congrats on your catch.

You were brave to hold that slimy, toothy devil over the cockpit of your SINK.

I think I would have cut the line!
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Cool picture

Comment

Nice. Amazing how they've migrated to new water. Should have eaten him/her.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Congrats....they are supposedly all over down here...but I haven't been able to hook one yet. I was given one though...fantastic tasting.
            Hobie Outback
            Stand Up Paddle Board
            Pelican 100

Comment

Good catch! I've caught a few the past few weeks but none in DE.

Comment

Originally posted by whenican View Post
                Good catch! I've caught a few the past few weeks but none in DE.
                I tried to message you a couple weeks ago but your inbox was full.

I went to that creek I told you about and I can see it holding snakeheads but we didn't catch any as it was flowing faster than normal due to rain in the previous days. We did do well on smaller bass there though.

I also went to Becks last week and it wasn't what I remember since the last time I fished it in 2015. The water level was down 1' so I assume the top plank on the dam broke. It also gets fished hard, more than I remember. In the past there might be one other boat or canoe there. While we were there after work there were 11 kayaks fishing including the 3 of us. The 3 of us worked hard to each get one bass. Fishing seems to have declined pretty substantially from all the pressure. We only saw one other individual land a fish so we felt blessed to each get a fish. Becks isn't a big pond so 11 kayaks is a lot in addition to about 5 people on the bank. I hate to see the traffic on the weekend.
                1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                2015 Coosa HD
                2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

congrats on landing, that one in the photo looks like a beast!

i personally love the fight and adrenaline from this predator fish. trust me, cook one up - they are DELICIOUS.
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I went to that creek I told you about and I can see it holding snakeheads but we didn't catch any as it was flowing faster than normal due to rain in the previous days. We did do well on smaller bass there though.
                    let's get lucky lady charm tricks
 now

Comment

Working...
                    X