Buzzards Bay report 9/16/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzards Bay report 9/16/17

Arrived at sunrise to pretty thick fog. Waited about an hour for it to clear and glad I waited. Heard fish in the distance on the surface. Visibility was still only 150 yards or so. Found the fish and starting catching 18-20 inch stripers. I couldn't find any larger so after a bit I moved on to other bait pods. That's when I ran into the albies. I hooked up on 3. The first I lost pretty quickly. The second I had on for a while, but put too much pressure and snapped him off. The third I hooked on a purple epoxy jig, and finally landed one and here he is. IMG_1074.JPG
    After that landed a blue. Then I saw something that I have never seen before. In 25 ft of water, seabass feeding on the surface actually throwing themselves out of the water. Caught and released a bunch of them. Tried to fish under the seabass for striper or fluke, but couldn't keep the seabass off. IMG_1075.JPG
    Blue for the smoker. A good trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great trip, bud. Any outing that includes bluefish, bass and allies is a home run, in my book!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

+1 on that

Yak67

2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

It was pretty cool. Discovery channel-Esque with all the bait jumping out of the water. Need to get out again soon before they are gone.

Comment

Great report. Topwater for seabass, now that's a first. I have been hearing good albie reports for up there. You had an amazing August on the canal. Hope you were able to hit it. I was able to hit the tail end with marginal success. Thinking of heading back next week for the new moon, but I heard storms are expected.
          Jay

10' Green Slayer
          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
            Great report. Topwater for seabass, now that's a first. I have been hearing good albie reports for up there. You had an amazing August on the canal. Hope you were able to hit it. I was able to hit the tail end with marginal success. Thinking of heading back next week for the new moon, but I heard storms are expected.
            I've never seen anything so odd. 8-14 inch seabass awkwardly throwing themselves into the air, but they kind jump like me, feet(tail fin)barely leave the ground!

Comment

I've never seen anything so odd. 8-14 inch seabass awkwardly throwing themselves into the air, but they kind jump like me, feet(tail fin)barely leave the ground!

Comment

Nice report! I just came back from 3 days on Martha's Vineyard and the fishing was INSANE. Lots of action up in that general area right now. I caught my first seabass on topwater last year fishing for albies on MV. Saw fish boiling, casted an epoxy jig at them, fish bit and fought like a wet rag and I reeled in a 14 inch black seabass. Couldn't believe it!
                Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

That sounds awesome. I might have to get up there at some point and check it out. Is it like that in the fall and spring?

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

Just the fall for albies. They are starting to move out now as the water cools.

Comment

Working...
                    X