High tide at Piney Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High tide at Piney Point

Arrived at Jack's launch at the end of St Georges Island a little before 11 expecting to just see Ron Ault but was pleased to see Icatharuus Bill in the lot and a Kevin Fry already on the water after a prolonged layoff due to illness. We were going at high tide looking for reds and anything else that came along. As we came out of the creek we ran into Fishtank who was circumnavigating the island. Headed off to the fishing grounds in full armada mode. Found a few rockfish ranging from tiny to 18". I picked up a 17" trout mixed in with the rockfish on a large flat. We tried for reds but no takers at the first spot. Ron, Bill and Kevin headed off to the next spot and Tim and I headed in the opposite direction.

Tim picked up an identical twin 17" trout and I got on the radio to let Ron know. All I heard in response was "Oh my God, I've got a big one". I thought he meant redfish as he'd picked up one on the spot. Nope, a 26", 6lb speck. Hopefully Bill has a good picture as I was phoneless today. I headed over, because that's what lazy fisherman do. Picked up a 15" redfish and a few scattered rocks. Headed back in and off around 3. Really nice day.

The fatter one had a whole 6" flounder in its stomach that had been surgically cut lengthwise into 1/3 2/3 sections. No idea how it got cut like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Sounds like the fish didn't stand a chance against those odds. Nice day!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

We met up at Jack Russell's private launch on St. George's Island around 10:30 this morning...Kevin was already out in the creek..Bill and Big Mike and I launched and headed across...met up with Tim on the water- could not believe he had paddled the entire length all the way around the Island...we hit the stripers right away in 3-4 FOW...Big Mike caught some specks mixed in the stripers...I told Bill I wanted to try the other point and off we went across the channel- nearing the shallows I swapped out the crankbaits for my home-made Redfish Magic on my light rod...tossed it back and started our troll- Bill was along side and we were talking- I told Bill- right here is where I caught a nice speck last year when the drag screamed on my light rod followed by a big splash...Bill laughed- wow! What a blowup...the 26 inch Speckled Trout was on the lightest rod- my 7' St Croix Mojo Inshore light action with the Shimano Stradic 2500 CI 4(+) with 10# braid- it was tearing drag on lots of runs- it took a good 15 minutes to subdue this fish- it is a new personal best for me out of a kayak and the fourth Speckled Trout over 20 inches this year I have caught...beat my earlier citation speck by an inch and a half and by 2 full pounds...2 citation Specks in a year ain't bad...registered it at the Tackle Box...oh yeah- I forgot...caught a redfish and a bunch of stripers, too...
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-16-2017, 08:48 PM. Reason: Nap time
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

It was a nice day on the water and a good chance to catch up with Ron, Kevin, and Mike and to meet Tim in person. I was trolling next to Ron when that monster hit, and the splash was like a cannonball hit the water behind him. Then it took off, and I thought it was a red for sure. Here are some pics:

I only managed a few perch and some dink stripers. Kevin and Ron were nice enough to provide a few additional perch so I can cook them up for lunch tomorrow when my folks visit. Paddle tail Bass Assassins out-caught Gulp for me for the first time ever. Most fish I caught were in 7 feet of water or less near points.

It was a picture-perfect day with good company. The only way it could've been any better was if I found the twin to Ron's trout.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I was just glad to be out there. It was old home week for me.....great to meet up unexpectedly with Fishtank Tim and Big Mike. I expected ti meet Ron an Ictalarus Bill...and expected to get outfished by Ron......which happened as predicted.
          Fishtank Tim has to be one of the all-time beasts in Snaggedline. The guy circumnavigated St Georges Island today in his Predator and fished the whole area HARD.....what a brute.
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Great work guys. The southern MD waters are quite productive these days.

I caught a 21" redfish and a few trout this morning -- but I was hundreds of miles to the south (Tampa Bay). I caught at least one decent fish on each of the past three days, but the numbers of fish are lower than expected -- I guess Irma disrupted things here.

redfish a.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great outing guys the weather was fabulous Great pictures and great to hear Kevin Fry back in the mix.

Yak67
              2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
              2016 Hobie Outback LE3217

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                I was just glad to be out there. It was old home week for me.....great to meet up unexpectedly with Fishtank Tim and Big Mike. I expected ti meet Ron an Ictalarus Bill...and expected to get outfished by Ron......which happened as predicted.
                Fishtank Tim has to be one of the all-time beasts in Snaggedline. The guy circumnavigated St Georges Island today in his Predator and fished the whole area HARD.....what a brute.
                It was super to get Kevin back on the water...we have missed our big buddy- glad his medical issues are almost resolved and is able to fish with us...Kevin, Bill and Moc introduced me to kayak fishing...and fishing with friends makes fishing fun...I have enjoyed joining the SMOG crew...Yak67 and Big Mike...we were only missing Yak67 today who was fishing up north...but with Tim joining in, we had the "A" team...the conditions were a lot different from our last trip so was the fishing- every trip is different...

Comment

Congratulations guys! It sounds like it was a wonderful outing with good catches and good company.
                  -manny

Hobie Outback
                  Wilderness Systems 130T
                  Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Outstanding day all around. Great running into all of you. Didn't know Kevin ( Kevin Fry) was sidelined for a while but made the day better yet to see he rebounded and was back on the water. Then again, I doubt there is much that will keep him down. Mike (Big Mike) and Bill (Ictalurus) it was a pleasure to finally meet you both after a number years of using your intel on this forum to help make my days on the water better. Ron, the Pied Piper of specks. Nice job on your personal best. We still need to get over to the Northern Neck.

You all didn't meet Walt (Snaggedliner - He peeled off for the ramp at about the time we ran into you all) Walt had a speck on the west side of SGI. We picked shorts all along the way. Saw a number of spots on the west side that I'm sure can be productive. South side of SGI outside Island Creek held a lot of shorts. Motoring breakers and birds off shore of there as well.
                    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                    Predator 13

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
                      Outstanding day all around. Great running into all of you....... We still need to get over to the Northern Neck.
                      Lol...I was planning on leaving on a camping trip to WINDMILL POINT on Northern neck in July.....afternoon before i was to leave...i got sick....worst possible timing
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Tim: It was good to fish with you...I was impressed with your paddling that Predator 13...looks like a great fishing yak... PM me and we will setup that long promised Northern Neck trip- We should get Joe (Comeonfish) to go with us and invite Snaggedliners to join in...

Comment

What a haul. All I got this weekend was a dinky 9 inch small mouth. I'll just live vicariously through you guys.
                          Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"

Comment

You guys are rock stars. I grew up fishing in lower somd. Love the water down there and the variety of species available. The stories you guys tell always bring me back. Such impressive size to the specks down there this year. Congrats to all on a great outing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X