• Show
Clear All

• knock-off hobie?

I just came across this...
    https://u-boat.en.alibaba.com/produc...73152c54xQ8vYn
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Shortly after the Native Slayer Propel kayaks were introduced, Chinese knock-offs began appearing. The price was quite a bit lower and so was the quality. I have not seen one in a while. I suspect that Hobie's patent attornies will jump on this new one quickly.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I someone said that Hobies -aren't expired this year

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
        Seriously thinking about getting one depending on shipping costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
        Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
        Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

This was the first line in the product description: "It can go forward and reverse with the pedal drive system, designed for fishing-minded kayakers and equipped with features for serious anger."
          Notice the last word in the sentence. I would assume if it the normal chinese quality the description is accurate.
          Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
          Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
            This was the first line in the product description: "It can go forward and reverse with the pedal drive system, designed for fishing-minded kayakers and equipped with features for serious anger."
            Notice the last word in the sentence. I would assume if it the normal chinese quality the description is accurate.

That’s funny.

Two weekends ago my daughter and I assembled a large combined swing set/playhouse for my granddaughters. Hundreds of pieces and parts came in a 700-pound box delivered by a large truck. Stamped all over the box were the words, “Made in China”.

We tore into the lengthy instructions (a book) and began our task. The wording for each step was fractured and cryptic. Never once did they use the words “right” or “left” which would have clarified things greatly. Consequently, three times during the combined 20-plus hours of labor it took us to finish the project, we had to disassemble our work and start over.

This wasn’t the first time…the girls’ trampoline and zip-line were also made in China. I was actually prepared for do-overs this time. My boundaries for patience have grown along with the girls’ play area and equipment!
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

My wife loves IKEA. Enough said.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                My wife loves IKEA. Enough said.

A fellow traveler.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  Shortly after the Native Slayer Propel kayaks were introduced, Chinese knock-offs began appearing. The price was quite a bit lower and so was the quality. I have not seen one in a while. I suspect that Hobie's patent attornies will jump on this new one quickly.
                  You can still find them on craigslist for $1200. The latest versions I've seen are from the "Brooklyn Kayak Company". $1200 is a little steep for a knockoff, but if the knock-off Hobies can last a single season, you could have a brand new knock-off every year for 5 or 6 years for the same price as a new Hobie.

I personally wouldn't trust my life to a cheap Chinese knock-off, but I can imagine there may quite a few who would buy them to avoid the sticker shock of a new Hobie.
                  "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                  Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                    You can still find them on craigslist for $1200. The latest versions I've seen are from the "Brooklyn Kayak Company". $1200 is a little steep for a knockoff, but if the knock-off Hobies can last a single season, you could have a brand new knock-off every year for 5 or 6 years for the same price as a new Hobie.

I personally wouldn't trust my life to a cheap Chinese knock-off, but I can imagine there may quite a few who would buy them to avoid the sticker shock of a new Hobie.
                    You may want to find a new place to shop for hobies, or consider using a calculator.

-Jimbo-

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                      You may want to find a new place to shop for hobies, or consider using a calculator.
                      Alibaba has the knock-off hobies listed from 550-750 and new Hobies go between $2600-$3700. Depending on the Hobie model and the actual price of a knock-off, you could get anywhere between 3 - 6 knock-offs.

I may have been unclear. The $1200 I mentioned in the original post was for the knock-off slayer. I meant it to be a direct comparison between the price of real vs. knock-off Hobie's.
                      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I purchased a new Hobie Revo 13 yesterday for $2549 at DPS. It replaced a 2012 Hobie Revo which I bought new in the spring of 2013 for about $1800. I used that boat for nearly 5 years and sold it for $1350 with some ancillary gear. I had listed it here.

The excellent resale value of pedal driven boats from the quality makers like Hobie and Native needs to be considered.

My 2012 Revo served me well and reliably and gave me an excellent financial payback. In fact if I could quantify the enjoyment that boat brought to me, it owed me no dollars in return.

But I applied the $1350 to my new boat. My 2012 purchase lives on for me and now for its new owner. Given the quality of Hobie's products, I'm sure my 2018 Revo will provide years of enjoyment at a cost of only a few hundred dollars per year.

That contrasts greatly with a probable one year and done scenario of a knockoff product.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

knock-off hobie?

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          I purchased a new Hobie Revo 13 yesterday for $2549 at DPS. It replaced a 2012 Hobie Revo which I bought new in the spring of 2013 for about $1800. I used that boat for nearly 5 years and sold it for $1350 with some ancillary gear. I had listed it here.

The excellent resale value of pedal driven boats from the quality makers like Hobie and Native needs to be considered.

My 2012 Revo served me well and reliably and gave me an excellent financial payback. In fact if I could quantify the enjoyment that boat brought to me, it owed me no dollars in return.

But I applied the $1350 to my new boat. My 2012 purchase lives on for me and now for its new owner. Given the quality of Hobie's products, I'm sure my 2018 Revo will provide years of enjoyment at a cost of only a few hundred dollars per year.

That contrasts greatly with a probable one year and done scenario of a knockoff product.
                          I purchased a new camo outback a couple months ago for $2800. Its my fourth hobie mirage drive kayak.
                          I’m not a hobie fanatic. I think hobie gouges their customers. But i do prefer their drive system, so I suck it up and pay what they ask. I think their quality is average at best.
                          My interest in the knockoffs is primarily curiosity. I do like the idea of giving hobie the finger. I think they will last more than a year.

Last edited by Jimbo; 10-13-2017, 08:27 AM.
                          -Jimbo-

Comment

Fauxbie!!
                            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                              Fauxbie!!
                              LMAO!