OBX Sept. 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBX Sept. 15

Brought my SINK down to Avon from Md for the week of 9/10 thru 9/17. First three days were windy and rainy, so no fishing. Wednesday the 13th was perfect so I went up to Manteo where I had never fished before. The ramp and launch at Festival Park were terrific, but unfortunately I didn't land anything that day in the grasses or rip-rap around the area.
    Today (Friday 9/15) the winds were predicted to be very low so I went up and put in at Oregon Inlet at 10 am. Nothing for an hour or so and then right at 11:30 am I started getting slammed while trolling 4" green paddle tails in 4-5 feet of water. Several red drum (the largest about 22 inches) and 6 legal speckled trout kept me busy for awhile. Several fish also shook the hook. Also hooked a few simply casting. Was only about 300 yards out from launch. Kept one trout for dinner.
    Wish I'd had the Outback with Mirage drive on the trip--it would have made it a lot easier to keep the lines from getting tangled as the drum pulled me in circles and when two fish hit at once!
    Going to try "Big Island" area behind Dairy Queen in Avon tomorrow morn.
    AlIMG_3679.jpg

I fished Oregon Inlet in my Pro Angler. Wish I had a paddle kayak to navigate around there. Once you're out of the boat channel it get real skinny real quick and the Mirage drive was of no use. Did a lot of walking and dragging it over 1' deep flats.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

How did you do in Avon, I am in Frisco and brought my kayak down itching to go once the wind lays down

Comment

It was too windy once I got on the water so I came in. A yakfisher I met said he did real well around Big Island on a low-wind day. There's a $5 launch on Bonita St that puts you out right on the island. Good luck! Al

Comment

Working...
        X