No announcement yet.

anyone launch from fort Smallwood park?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone launch from fort Smallwood park?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone launches there kayak from ft Smallwood park. Is there a separate area for cartop launches or do you use the boat ramp? I can't find any helpful info online. I've never launched from.there so I'm clueless as to kayaks should launch from. Thanks guys

There's a designated launch area for car-top boats. Signs will direct you to the site once you enter the park. It's to the right of the remains of the fort as you drive toward the water.

Be mindful of the wind. Fort Smallwood can be an excellent fishery for stripers and white perch. But it's open water with little protection from the wind.

Here are a few photos of the launch:

P1010868.jpg P1010876.jpg P1010880.jpg
    Last edited by Mark; 09-15-2017, 06:44 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      There's a designated launch area for car-top boats. Signs will direct you to the site once you enter the park. It's to the right of the remains of the fort as you drive toward the water.

Be mindful of the wind. Fort Smallwood can be an excellent fishery for stripers and white perch. But it's open water with little protection from the wind.

Here are a few photos of the launch:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22275[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]22276[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]22277[/ATTACH]
      thanks for the quick help, the photos were super helpful as well.

Comment

careful of the winds, it is open/exposed and you WILL turtle...

ask me how i know...
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

You're very welcome.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Yea I know the winds are something to contend with, what's a safe bet in regards to the wind to look for?

Comment

If I see white caps and waves crashing on the shoreline, I don't go.

Generally, I'm cautious anytime the forecast indicates winds in excess of 10 mph from the N or NW. A strong SE wind, although less common is also troublesome. The river is wide there and the waves build upon each other. There are also shallow areas surprisingly far from shore that magnify the impact of the waves.

Just use caution and good sense.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

10mph winds is just all about I want to deal with myself as well. No need to risk your life for a fish.

Comment

Working...
                X