Spriggs Farm Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spriggs Farm Report

Had some time due to work letting out early yesterday, so I decided to hit a spot I haven't fished since last fall, Spriggs Farm. Launched at about 1:30, which I found out was dead low tide, not good for fishing. I didn't do horribly, concentrated mainly around Dobbin Island, in water between 3-10 feet deep. There were a ton of tiny perch around, and I managed to troll up 3 over 10 inches, but let them go. Only caught 1 rockfish, a 17-18" fish somewhat close to the launch. Didn't have much time available so I was in by 5. It seemed like the feeding was heating up as I was leaving, of course. I tried a bit on topwater, but all I had on me was 1 enormous topwater popper, but fish were uninterested. The water was flat calm though, or close to it, and it was the perfect temperature out with just enough clouds out as well. So the fishing could have been better, but as always, at least 60% of my kayak fishing joy comes from just being out on a nice day in a little boat. So in that case, it was a good day. Last year about this time I did pretty well launching from Spriggs, but it was later in the day, and for whatever reason, the wind seemed to consolidate all the rockfish behind Dobbin, and I quickly caught 2 keepers. This outing was not the case, hopefully I can make amends, keeper-wise, on my next trip. Also, to those wishing to hit spriggs, the trail down to the water has become fairly overgrown. Make sure you have everything tucked inside your kayak (rods, nets, etc), because the path gets very narrow by the water. If I would've known, I would've brought my hedge trimmers and made quick work of the overgrown stuff hanging over the fences, maybe next time.

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
    Had some time due to work letting out early yesterday, so I decided to hit a spot I haven't fished since last fall, Spriggs Farm. Launched at about 1:30, which I found out was dead low tide, not good for fishing. I didn't do horribly, concentrated mainly around Dobbin Island, in water between 3-10 feet deep. There were a ton of tiny perch around, and I managed to troll up 3 over 10 inches, but let them go. Only caught 1 rockfish, a 17-18" fish somewhat close to the launch. Didn't have much time available so I was in by 5. It seemed like the feeding was heating up as I was leaving, of course. I tried a bit on topwater, but all I had on me was 1 enormous topwater popper, but fish were uninterested. The water was flat calm though, or close to it, and it was the perfect temperature out with just enough clouds out as well. So the fishing could have been better, but as always, at least 60% of my kayak fishing joy comes from just being out on a nice day in a little boat. So in that case, it was a good day. Last year about this time I did pretty well launching from Spriggs, but it was later in the day, and for whatever reason, the wind seemed to consolidate all the rockfish behind Dobbin, and I quickly caught 2 keepers. This outing was not the case, hopefully I can make amends, keeper-wise, on my next trip. Also, to those wishing to hit spriggs, the trail down to the water has become fairly overgrown. Make sure you have everything tucked inside your kayak (rods, nets, etc), because the path gets very narrow by the water. If I would've known, I would've brought my hedge trimmers and made quick work of the overgrown stuff hanging over the fences, maybe next time.
    Better than a skunk. Tomorrow or yesterday someone will catch 4 over 30".
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
      Better than a skunk. Tomorrow or yesterday someone will catch 4 over 30".
      It's the same story every time. I've got a freezer full of fish anyway though, so I can't get too bummed about not catching keepers that often.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I thought of going there for the first time last Saturday but because of the wind opted for Weems instead. Sounds like you had the same luck I did. That's too bad about the path, but I reckon that taking ownership ourselves and cutting it back is not a bad thing if we want to keep access. How's the path itself, still good for regular trolley tires?

Comment

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
          Thanks for the information. I thought of going there for the first time last Saturday but because of the wind opted for Weems instead. Sounds like you had the same luck I did. That's too bad about the path, but I reckon that taking ownership ourselves and cutting it back is not a bad thing if we want to keep access. How's the path itself, still good for regular trolley tires?
          Yeah my little 30$ cart made it down fine. It was just tricky because it's downhill, and it slopes off to the right, if you're looking down it. So just keep that in mind. You'll need to fill out a form on the spriggs farm homepage (first one that comes up when you google it), and then you'll get the gate combo. It's a nice launch, I would def go back there, and like I said I've had success near dobbin island, but John (silasvirus) also caught some keepers near the docks immediately to the right of the launch. And we both have caught lots of perch, and even a catfish or 2, while bottom fishing along the shoreline on the same side as the launch, about 1-2 miles towards the mouth of the magothy.

Comment

Working...
          X