Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perch at Weems

Quote Originally Posted by tech11165 View Post
    How much longer do you think the perch will be there? At what temp do they move out?
    I don't know the water temperature that drives them to deeper water, but I know from experience that they will be present in the Severn's creeks and vulnerable to lures cast to shorelines into early November. Clearly, their fall migration to deeper water has begun. In recent weeks they are not as prevalent in their typical hangouts as they were in July and August, nor are they as large.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

My experience of catching perch in the Severn creek shallow areas is that they begin leaving in late Sept and will be mostly gone by late Oct. A few stragglers will remain until later. As an example, I caught a 14" white perch in a Severn tributary in 3' of water on Jan 1, 2012. That citation perch ended up winning me a Tracker boat, motor, and trailer in the 2012 Maryland Fishing Challenge -- but that is another story.

If you want to fish for perch in the shallows, don't put it off too long or you will miss most of them.

006.jpg007.jpg007-closeup.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Incredible catch. I'm still waiting to catch a seemingly mythical 12" perch myself I'm curious, it seems as though the larger ones have left the shallows already, and if that's true are they already holing up in deeper water or are they just moving around more but still in the creeks? Like others, in August catching 10-11" perch along the Severn wasn't unusual. But the last two weeks it's been very slim pickings for the bigger ones. They have to be somewhere as I doubt if we are good enough to have caught them all

Quote Originally Posted by azmdted View Post
    Incredible catch. I'm still waiting to catch a seemingly mythical 12" perch myself I'm curious, it seems as though the larger ones have left the shallows already, and if that's true are they already holing up in deeper water or are they just moving around more but still in the creeks? Like others, in August catching 10-11" perch along the Severn wasn't unusual. But the last two weeks it's been very slim pickings for the bigger ones. They have to be somewhere as I doubt if we are good enough to have caught them all
    I cannot speak for current perch status in Weems as I have not tried for them recently. However, last week John Rentch and I found several large perch (10" to 12") in a shallow stump field in Eastern Bay. I had never caught them there before, but they were fun that day.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Here's a Weems Creek perch from yesterday:

P1030057.jpg

It would have been a normal sized catch a few weeks ago. Yesterday, it was my only perch near 10 inches.

As to how long they will be around to chase spinners and small lures, peak opportunities to quickly catch good quantities of perch greater than 10 inches have passed for 2017. There are enough left to justify a trip, but they will not provide continuous action like they do in earlier in the summer.

I looked through my photo file and this is was my last white perch of 2016. I caught it on 7 November:

P1020283.jpg

It was the only perch I caught that day -- a nice sized one but swimming alone evidently. Small stripers had taken the place of the perch:

P1020275.jpg

I caught a number of stripers like the one above and larger and that is the typical pattern. White perch leave, stripers take their place along with pickerel.

However, my photo file also shows that I caught my last Severn pickerel on 1 November 2016:

P1020273.jpg

I have not seen or caught one since in any Severn tributary and that is troubling.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-19-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Mark, that's a good looking 12" perch. They get big about 11" with the hump on the back. Your experience yesterday sounds like mine from last Friday, 1 at 10", a couple near 9.5" and then the rest about 8". I did get the one pickerel but that was the only one I saw in the 4 hours I fished. Unless they are just moving around more I think I'm done with Weems for the year until the Yellow's come in next month, but even then I'm thinking of heading over the Magothy where I believe that have better spawning opportunities and hopefully more perch. Looks like good weather is on tap for this weekend, so good luck to all.
    ---------------------------------------
    2015 Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
    12' Perception Pescador
    10' Perception Pescador