No announcement yet.

Trolling motor suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 50ah LiFePo4 weigh in at around 15lbs each and are in the Group 24 size. The 100ah run around 30lbs so the weight is negligible but the size increases to a larger group 31 which might facter in when trying to place it. My 75ah is still a group 24 so I can place it in my front hatch or behind my seat, which is where I keep it. I have had my LiFePo4 for a little over a year now and it has performed flawless. I agree wiring can be tricky with longer distance, if not properly done one can experience a 3-6% power drop.

John, why the mod for the Machete prop? I have one one my current 45# which is a 3 1/4 hub and it works fine. I ask because I will be changing to a 55# Riptide soon and it has the same hub size as your Endura Max. It would seem with the size difference between the machete's 3.5 and Minn kota 3.62 the machete would fit with a little room to spare. I'm still experimenting between the 2 and 3 blade prop. I really like the Machete lll performance but am wondering how much more battery it uses vs the 2 blade, especially in wind and current so the jury is still out on that one as yet.

Just for giggles I did a little video coming back to my launch point a couple days ago. This is with the Machete on my bigger and heavier yak then what you gents have.

Comment

Hey, so that's where my West Marine radio got to. Good radio for the money.

Oldbayrunner,

On the Machete prop for the 40 size hub has a shear pin slot that is too deep causing the prop skirt to drag on the motor housing. The fix for this is to cut a spare shear pin in half and glue the halves into the slot on either side of the shaft hole. This raises the prop enough so it doesn't drag on the housing.

As for power usage with the three blade vs two blade, I have not noticed any difference. I do know that you need higher power settings with the two blade for the same speed so that may cancel out the equation.

How long does a 50 amp Life battery give you in your yak? I realize that you can take them down to zero unlike the lead acids.
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thanks. Do you have a part number for the prop? My wire length is under 6 feet each battery and I used 10 AWG. The rear hatch is small, only 8 inch round. The front hatch us huge. I made a bracket for the battery and it sits just past center point but more towards the front. Great points though

Originally posted by john from md View Post
        On the two yaks I have powered, I always tried to keep the wire run short as possible. The Minn Kota Endura Max CAN draw 42 amps (although I have never seen it) so I kept my wires in the five foot range so I could use 10 gauge wire. I don't know what gauge you are using but your forward battery would need 8 gauge since it is so far away.

Since the Life batteries are pretty light couldn't you just buy a 100 amp and keep it in the rear hatch? This would allow you to drop one entire wire run and possibly get a few more rpm off the motor. The only reason I can see for you to get two batteries is if you are not comfortable with their reliability.

BTW, I strongly suggest you get a Motorguide Machete prop. It gives more power relative to the power settings and a reverse that is 500% better than the Minn Kota prop. You have to do a little mod to make it fit, but it is easy and only takes a few minutes with a dremel and some super glue or goop.

John
        John
        Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Tech,

The Motorguide p/n is MGA089B. It is called a Machette III and is for 3.5 inch hubs. The nut won't work on the MK motor so you will have to use the existing one. Don't forget the trick I described in my last post about moding it so it doesn't drag on the MK housing.

I'm going to start saving my pennies for one of those 50 amp Life batteries. Any suggestions on where to get one?

John
          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I believe the Machete only comes in one size 3.5. On my 45 Riptide it fits outside of the housing so there is no rub but it will be different when I get the 55 Riptide, thanks for the heads up.

I don't have a 50ah but a 75ah. I'm not exactly sure exactly how long my battery life is completely. I use a not so cheap pwm with it and have trolled my fully loaded yak at 2-2.5mph for an average 5-7 hrs at 30-40% throttle or less depending on the current/wind, then been able to run high against wind and current for 3 miles or more back to my launch area using less than 70% of the battery, I haven't been in need to run it to zero ever as yet. The great thing is there is no power loss the whole time.

Originally posted by tech11165 View Post
            My wire length is under 6 feet each battery and I used 10 AWG.
            You might be pushing it a tad using 10ga AWG, for your motor you might fair better going to 8ga AWG to insure you don't lose any power. I know 10ga is the Minn Kota suggested for that size motor to 5ft.

Comment

Amazon and Ebay have Lifepo4. I am eyeballing a 50ah on ebay. Reputable dealer
              name brand ( EWT). 370 with free shipping. I'll change the size of the wire for the front battery. Thanks for all the input
              John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Amazon and Ebay have Lifepo4. I am eyeballing a 50ah on ebay. Reputable dealer
                name brand ( EWT). 370 with free shipping. I'll change the size of the wire for the front battery. Thanks for all the input
                I would ask the seller what the warranty is on those. I looked into the Everwin Tech batteries and they only had a 1 year warranty coupled with there is no tech support. At least with the Re-lion or Smart battery there is but they do cost more.

Comment

Yea, I lookes into the warranty and reveiws. Very few. I found Bioenno Power to have a great website, plenty of reviews through out the web and sold on Amazon. I have already contacted them and in less than a day they have responded back. They cost a bit more but better service and 2 year warranty. Battle Born is another one
                  Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                  I would ask the seller what the warranty is on those. I looked into the Everwin Tech batteries and they only had a 1 year warranty coupled with there is no tech support. At least with the Re-lion or Smart battery there is but they do cost more.
                  John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Yea, you'll find as you step up in price the warranty gets better. My Re-lion has a 5yr warranty, same with the Smart Battery. In any case you will like having a lithium iron a lot more.

Comment

I tried doing a search but it is all over the place. I want to put a trolling motor on my Adventure Island Hobie; 16ft. No outriggers or sail. What thrust do you recommend to use for trolling for rock. I won't go out in heavy wind but normal. 5-10 mph with tides. Would a 20 with PWM or Minkota max 40 thrust. I have batteries figured out and plan to use PWM, just not sure what thrust I will need to troll. I plan to use mirage drive to get where i need to be in a hurry. Just want trolling motor to troll.
                      I know a Torqueedo would work but don't have the funds.
                      Thanks
                      I have been taking a gander at the 40 also. I would get a 30 and include my own PWM however I did quip need to much bother. What do you mean you split the best??? Is the head migrated? Did you cut the pole? I have two 35AH batteries; so to troll throughout the day would it be advisable for me to bring two? I intend to keep my hallucination drive in and have both of need be. Does it deal with head wind and cleave well?

Much appreciated

Comment

I think you were talking about my post and not tech 11165's so I'll give you an answer. As far as splitting the motor, I meant that I cut the carbon fiber shaft and located the control head next to my seat and attached the motor half to the rudder mounting hardware. Cutting the shaft is easy all you need to do is tape the area where you are going to cut it, slide a piece of copper or aluminum pipe inside the shaft to protect the wires and use a fine tooth hack saw or dremel tool.
                        One 35 amp battery lasts me for a 4 to 5 hour trip but I don't troll all the time.
                        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                        X