Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it's from http://www.electrickayakcompany.com/

Comment

Wow, pricey! They are nicer than my home made mount but not that nice.
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Considering the mount attaches onto my tracks and rudder pin hole without any needed modification by cutting holes for a hatch to get to bolts, drilling holes for bolts and adding a reinforcing plate underneath the mount, the price was well worth it. Plus it allows for the ease of pulling a single pin, disconnecting the pedal steering cables and disconnecting the motor wires in order to easily remove the motor for transportation.

Comment

I agree as the hobie comes with tracks. Can you put your rudder back on if you don't want to use the motor?
          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Went out for a test run. The mount I made worked, need to paint it now for aesthetics. Trolled two rods in normal bay chop. The motor drew 8-9 amp to maintain 3MPH. I had two 35ah batteries( bought used) not sure if my charger was suitable to get them a full charge. I only got 1.25 run time, each battery( roughly). Doing some reading the batteries were max draw of 10 amps
            I think the high draw killed them quick. I see a Lithium batter in my future. I did not see any additional load when I left my mirage drive in place.
            John
            Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Without me trying to run through this thread, do you have a Endura Max or a simple Endura?
              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                Without me trying to run through this thread, do you have a Endura Max or a simple Endura?
                Endura max 40
                John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Wow. That's the same motor I have and I get way more time with my 35 amp battery. Can it be because mine is pushing a OK Trident and yours is pushing a Hobie? The Trident glides very well through the water. I have never paddled a Hobie so I don't know how aerodynamic the are.
                  John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Wow. That's the same motor I have and I get way more time with my 35 amp battery. Can it be because mine is pushing a OK Trident and yours is pushing a Hobie? The Trident glides very well through the water. I have never paddled a Hobie so I don't know how aerodynamic the are.

Mine is pretty slim, only 28 inches and fast. The adventure island are hobies sailing kayak. I do not use outriggers or sail. The weight is about pounds, then add 300 pounds for gear and motor and myself. All the reading I have done with similar set up I should get more. I think my batteries are the culprit. I have 2-35ah batteries that are ran independently. When one runs out I would just switch batteries with a connector. I checked the output rating and it is max 10 amps continuously. I am running 8-9. The amp hour curve changes when near max draw. Also I was reading where a AGM battery is only supplying 50 percent( roughly) of useable amp hour rating compared to a Lithium. I bought the batteries used also.
                    John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Li batts are definitly more efficient than lead acid but they are also expensive. Several guys on this forum use them. One fella bought Chinese cells to keep the cost down and I think he had somewhere around 20% bad cells. It worked out for him in the end and he made a good battery pack. The really nice thing about them is that they are really light. My late sixties body sure hates carrying heavy stuff.
                      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I hear you there, I started with an 86ah agm Mighty Max (still have it and am up for parting with it). The darn thing weighs 60ish pounds, after using it maybe 6 times I decided it was too heavy for this old guy to lug around plus it added too much weight to my yak for my liking. I researched LiFePo4 Lithiums and settled on a 75ah which weighs 25lbs. It was expensive but the benefits I get out of it is well worth the added expense to me. I don't have the 50-60% drop off like I did with my agm that's for sure. I even extended what time I was getting out of my FF and lights by switching to two 10ah LiFePo4 and cut the weight I had from the two sla's @ 14lbs to 2.8lbs. Everything I have added to mine has been to maximize my runtime and performance while cutting weight and I am more than satisfied with the end result. When I troll fish for 6hrs or so I still have more than enough power left to get me back 3miles or so to my launch even if the winds come up and I have to use more amps. That's not to say I can run it full power the whole time, as you gentlemen know amp use is amp use the more one uses the less time. That's where battery size can come into play. My set up has been expensive but for me it has been worth it. I would have spent the same money on a peddle yak but after trying my knees wont let me and I can't paddle for really long periods of time like I used to. I could have gotten a boat but I don't want to give up fishing out of a yak.

Comment

Need some more advise. Pros-cons. Going to buy Lifepo4 batteries. I can get two 50ah or on 100ah. Size is not an issue. My cable system is already set up for two batteries or I can do One. Two would be easier to handle and gives me options. What do you guys think
                          John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

John,

I can't help as I don't use LI batts but I am interested in why you say that two would be easier to handle. That means that you have to disconnect and connect battery pacs while on the water. Am I missing something?
                            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

my current set up has a battery in the rear hatch and one in the front. I used SB50( fork lift battery connectors rated st 50 amps.) I added a plug for trolling motor and one each for the batteries. The center hatch( which is between my legs) of my Hobie has all three connectors so I can plug the motor to either battery. My only thought is I could take the one battery or both. My other thought, incase one of my batteries go bad I still have one. The cost are equal. One 100ah equals 2 of the 50ah. Weight is same split as well. I am assuming I will equal runtimes. Max current draw is 50 amps continuouse

John,

I can't help as I don't use LI batts but I am interested in why you say that two would be easier to handle. That means that you have to disconnect and connect battery pacs while on the water. Am I missing something?
                              John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

On the two yaks I have powered, I always tried to keep the wire run short as possible. The Minn Kota Endura Max CAN draw 42 amps (although I have never seen it) so I kept my wires in the five foot range so I could use 10 gauge wire. I don't know what gauge you are using but your forward battery would need 8 gauge since it is so far away.

Since the Life batteries are pretty light couldn't you just buy a 100 amp and keep it in the rear hatch? This would allow you to drop one entire wire run and possibly get a few more rpm off the motor. The only reason I can see for you to get two batteries is if you are not comfortable with their reliability.

BTW, I strongly suggest you get a Motorguide Machete prop. It gives more power relative to the power settings and a reverse that is 500% better than the Minn Kota prop. You have to do a little mod to make it fit, but it is easy and only takes a few minutes with a dremel and some super glue or goop.

John
                                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                                X