Mid-Severn Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Severn Report

Launched my lazy self at 5:30--pitch dark. Coffee in hand.

Caught 12-15 Rock fish; 2 19 inchers and 1 22 inch keeper. I gave it a big kiss as it has been 6 weeks since I've gotten a keeper. This makes only 4 keepers this season-- out of maybe 100 rock fish. But, I am not complaining. I am loving getting out there and chasing the sea gulls. I see all kinds of cool stuff. Like today, somehow a gull caught a 8+ inch fish by the tail. It tried to fly away, but could not. Then when I came by to see what type of fish it was--the gull dropped the fish and flew away. I felt bad for spoiling it's breakfast.

Chartreuse seemed to be a great color today. Also, the magic mixture for me was: two 1 oz lures in a tandem config; Trolling at 2.5 miles per hour; and 25 feet of line.

My hip surgery has been delayed..... Ahhh to bad... That means I need to keep fishing in prime fishing season.....

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Stan,

That's a very good outing, not only for the fish you caught but for your keen observations of nature. That's a big part of the enjoyment of kayak fishing for me and many others.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice report, there are more keepers to come

Comment

Nicely done! I went out there after work yesterday and didn't find many. I wasn't able to get my depthfinder working, so I was fishing blind. The perch bite was outstanding though, and I was able to bring home a half dozen for dinner this week.
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Nice going on the keeper. Your persistence paid off.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

As a three time hip replacement fisherman I highly recommend getting it in winter. With modern technology and recovery you could probably be fishing in 6 weeks but why push it. Congrats on your fish, the sweet sound of the reel singing never gets old.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Pitch dark, coffee in hand is always a great start to going fishing! Congrats on the catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              J

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                As a three time hip replacement fisherman I highly recommend getting it in winter. With modern technology and recovery you could probably be fishing in 6 weeks but why push it. Congrats on your fish, the sweet sound of the reel singing never gets old.
                I second the getting it done in the winter. Why waste valuable time in the spring/summer/fall recuperating when you can do it indoors over the cold, dreary winter months.
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Mike and John: Good advice. I've been thinking about that. I'll go and call them up today. BTW: I have a odd sense of humor. I have been trying to convince my youngest two girls--who are still at home--that I should ask the doctor for my cut off hip ball joint to be put into a jar of alcohol and given to me. Then I can do things like:

-- Have them take it to school for show and tell.
                  -- Put in above the fire-place mantel as a topic of conversation.
                  -- etc.

They both got fairly freaked out by it..... Why do Dad's love to tease there daughters?????

Best Regards,
                  Stan

Comment

Or keep it in the center hatch for good fish mojo!

Rabbits food is "so 2016"
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                      Or keep it in the center hatch for good fish mojo!

Rabbits food is "so 2016"

Thanks! I have not had a good deep belly laugh in over a week! I'll need to include this in the list of options that tease my girls with..... :-)

Best Regards,
                      Stan
                      Last edited by manlystanley; 09-15-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X