Truck bed extenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck bed extenders

I am looking at getting a truck bed extender like the Boonedox to transport my kayaks. I looked up the codes for MD and read you have to have flags and reflectors and an amber light at night connected to the end of the extender for visibility. After looking up all that a buddy of mine told me you can't use bed extenders because they obstruct the license plate. Does anyone know if that is true and if you use a bed extender what are the pros and cons. Thanks in advance.
    Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

I have F350 with a 6' 10" (8'11" tailgate down) bed, that I put my Hobie Outback (12') in without a bed extender. NOW, I use to have a bed extender (Harbor Freight) for my Vibe Sea Ghost 130 and I never had any of the things that you have listed above. I drive early in the morning to get to the launch sites on the Bay and have never been pulled over. I have had LEO follow me down the road and do nothing. I even use it for hauling lumber no issues.

Pros, little extra support on the end, peace of mind, it eases the loading/unloading process.
    Cons, you have to remove it sometimes to park. It sticks out.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
      I have F350 with a 6' 10" (8'11" tailgate down) bed, that I put my Hobie Outback (12') in without a bed extender. NOW, I use to have a bed extender (Harbor Freight) for my Vibe Sea Ghost 130 and I never had any of the things that you have listed above. I drive early in the morning to get to the launch sites on the Bay and have never been pulled over. I have had LEO follow me down the road and do nothing. I even use it for hauling lumber no issues.

Pros, little extra support on the end, peace of mind, it eases the loading/unloading process.
      Cons, you have to remove it sometimes to park. It sticks out.
      OK cool, thanks for info!
      Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by Yakmac View Post
        I am looking at getting a truck bed extender like the Boonedox to transport my kayaks. I looked up the codes for MD and read you have to have flags and reflectors and an amber light at night connected to the end of the extender for visibility. After looking up all that a buddy of mine told me you can't use bed extenders because they obstruct the license plate. Does anyone know if that is true and if you use a bed extender what are the pros and cons. Thanks in advance.
        I've been using a Harbor Freight bed extender for 2 to 3 years now, have had state troopers behind me and never pulled over, It's not difficult to move slightly left and right to capture the license plate info. I would suggest adding LED magnetic lights from Harbor Frieght and purchasing a bungee safety flag to attach to the end. I live in WV, each state requirements may be different with how long anything can extend past truck bed.

Comment

I have one for my Sea Ghost, got it off amazon, about $70. It has reflective tape on it and I always have a flag on the end of my kayak. I'm more afraid of some crazy Maryland driver running into my kayak than getting pulled over. Like Steve said above however, I have had cops behind me and have never been bothered and I'm usually leaving the house early in the morning when it's still dark. If you are worried it wouldn't be too hard to attach a red led light to the end. I have a ladder rack I could put it on but the bed extender is just easier to get it in.

Jason
          '17 Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"
          Jengles

2017 Vibe Sea Ghost 130 "Saxatilies Specter"

Comment

I have a 14' PA and an F350 longbed, so I bought the harborfreight one just in-case. I've come to realize with the ratchet strap tie-down points on my bumper, I do not need the bed extender. I do not use a flag, however my ratches strap nylons are RED and i'm always sure to tie the leftover slack tail at each side similar to a red/orange flag. Have not been bothered by the Law yet, knock on wood.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
            X