Sunday Potomac Wade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Potomac Wade

Good day close to home in the Carderock area. All smallies on a dead-drifted #6 black crystal bugger swung across and down through the foam lines. FWIW I've found that a larger than usual cactus chenille and longer than usual hackle prevents bottom snags on rocky stretches of the river. IMG-0438.jpgIMG-0436.jpg

Nice going! I wanted to hit the Potomac so badly yesterday, but commitments kept me away.
    I've been doing ok on a black damselfly nymph lately on the Patuxent.

Comment

planning to hit Potomac to wade this weekend. I am familiar with Swains - Violette's. I paddled at Fisherman's in last weekend. Where can you wade at Carderock? How will that compare to Violettes?

thanks!

Comment

sorry - I meant Anglers Inn

Comment

I've waded a bit farther west on the Potomac two times in recent weeks at Brunswick.

The water has been very low and very clear. The smallies have been willing to be caught but they have not been large -- typical 11 to 13 inchers.

My last visit was Thursday afternoon, 19 October. A black foam popper and an olive over white Clouser with size 4 hooks were very effective.

P1030101.jpg P1030118.jpg

Redbreast sunnies also hit the same flies:

P1030109.jpg P1030107.jpg

I used a 6 wt. rod with floating line on both trips.

The river is beautiful and a joy to wade right now. But loose vegetation was a bit of a problem on my last visit. This was a common occurrence:

P1030114.jpg

I absolutely love being on the river to see serene scenes like this:

P1030121.jpg

However, if you need a reminder of how powerful the river's water can be, look at this photo:

P1030116.jpg

That's a huge log on top of a huge rock.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

haha. Nice photos Mark! I see you posted our elevated tree trunk! That river is so powerful at times.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              haha. Nice photos Mark! I see you posted our elevated tree trunk! That river is so powerful at times.
              Yep. On the 19th, I went back to the same area we had fished when you joined me at Brunswick. I was intrigued by that tree so I took a photo. However, I caught more fish on the Maryland side of the river this time. I want to return but it will have to wait until next week.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

JohnK - I usually park at the east lot at Carderock, cross the wooden footbridge, and in a few hundred yards there's an easy path down that puts you in shallow water by Stubblefield Falls. From there you can wade up or down, or these days all the way across to Virginia. Mark et al. wondering if you guys have found it as slow as I have for the last few weeks? - three or four trips there, one to Lander and PoR, two to the Needles, one to Widewater. Best day was at the Needles, one small bass, one bluegill the size of a small bass, and one bullhead the size of a small shark. Thought I was snagged until he gave a head shake! Had an interesting live bait situation at Widewater after catching a fingerling largemouth, which brought a much bigger one out of the depths. Anyway, slow days. Hoping rain next week will get things moving again.

Comment

Not slow regarding quantity. But the fish I caught were small.

I saw plenty more scurrying from my path as I waded and many jumping after dragon flies.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                  X