Speed Matters...I THink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Matters...I THink

I'm still learning and experimenting with trolling in the bay. I was out in the wind yesterday for a few hours and did get a few stripers, nothing bigger than 19 and most closer to 12 or 13. Each pass traveling through the area with the wind and moving roughly 3 to 3.5 mph managed a fish and each pass traveling into the wind at closer to 1 to 1.5 mph came up empty. I guess maybe what Alan has on the subject on p. 90 of Light Tackle Kayak Trolling is true.
    Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
    2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Yes, that speed is a standard for stripers. People bump it up to 4 mph for Spanish and Blues. I do okay with around 2.5 mph on some days. I think Alan references it in his book that you don't have to think about speed as much as you think about the amount of effort you're putting into paddling/pedaling. I generally padddle at about 60% effort. If I'm facing wind/current and I'm only traveling 2mph, I often catch as many fish as I would if I had wind at my back and was going 3.8 assuming I'm exerting the same amount of energy both directions. It definitely helps to have that speedometer on the fishfinder. Sometimes even with using my 60% effort tactic, there's more wind and current pushing me than I thought, plus I have a fast kayak, and I look down and I'm going 5mph.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

LivinTheDream,

I would also remind you to take note of the direction you are travelling when you get a strike. Like Alan eruditely points out in his book -- and many on this forum can confirm -- trolling direction may be more important than speed because predatory fish tend to orient to a particular direction when feeding. In your example, you had already deciphered what the fish wanted and had gotten the fish to strike. Instead on focusing on speed, I would make it a point to retrace the same direction and track where you found success and repeat until the bite turns off.
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
        I would also remind you to take note of the direction you are travelling when you get a strike.
        Trying to understand that one better too. In this case, the productive direction was always with the current. Some days it seems to matter whether I am going with or against current, but others not. I suspect that the big difference might really be speed as on a day like Saturday, paddling into a pretty strong wind against current slowed me substantially. So, I have a couple of variables to consider. Could have just been direction and fish were oriented one way as you say, could have been that I was just moving too slowly in one direction, could have been some combination of those factors or even just chance I guess.
        Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
        2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
          Instead on focusing on speed, I would make it a point to retrace the same direction and track where you found success and repeat until the bite turns off.
          Bingo!

You can do everything else right -- speed, direction, lure size, color, etc. But if the fish aren't there it won't matter. Immediately retracing a proven spot is almost a guarantee to put fish on your line.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Bingo!

You can do everything else right -- speed, direction, lure size, color, etc. But if the fish aren't there it won't matter. Immediately retracing a proven spot is almost a guarantee to put fish on your line.
            Great points..... I'll try this the next time I go out.

Best Regards,
            Stan
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

You guys are all right, and wow, nice to see everyone using the book as a reference. That's what I hoped it'd be :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

The previous commenters offered a lot of good tips. The subject of trolling speed, depth, direction has been addressed at various times over the past years on Snaggedline. Try some searches using different key words. Here is one from earlier this year that offers some good tips.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...t=speed+ground

Alan's excellent book on light tackle trolling was mentioned by several previous commenters. It is a great reference to those wanting to try or refine their light tackle trolling methods. My book "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" includes a chapter on light tackle trolling too. For an alternate point of view and learn about approaches to trolling in shallow water, take a look at chapter 9 - "Trolling Methods".
                Last edited by J.A. Veil; 09-13-2017, 11:33 AM.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

One free tip...let out three feet of line, get up to trolling speed and observe the lure...action is everything...if you want to troll Slower lessen the amount of weight you are pulling- switch from a 1/2 oz jighead to 1/4 oz or in shallow water even a 1/8 oz jighead...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

Alan's excellent book on light tackle trolling was mentioned by several previous commenters. It is a great reference to those wanting to try or refine their light tackled trolling methods. My book "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" includes a chapter on light tackle trolling too. For an alternate point of view and learn about approaches to trolling in shallow water, take a look at chapter 9 - "Trolling Methods".
                    John's right. Everyone has a different style that works best for them and it's always a good idea to hear many opinions because even if you don't agree, there's always nuggets that you can take away. John fishes much differently than I, and that perspective is valuable.

I have a very rigid, methodical approach designed to eliminate guesswork that works for me. It comes as a result of trial and error and lots of personal reflection. John knows his stuff and has done similarly--it's obvious in talking with him and reading his posts. Our sport is still in the infancy of development and it's great to see everyone contributing to the story, literally Snaggedline still the best place for fishing information, period.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X